Thirty-Six

Song: Innocence— Nathan Wagner

AN: "Mr. Stark... I don't feel so good..." - me after writing this chapter

Also...

TW: SA (not graphic and it doesn't actually happen but it is mentioned)

The Witch

His mission to take my mind off things had been a smashing success. By the time the ride attendant was telling us we had to get off that time around, I could barely remember my own name.

It was nearing the fair's closing time now and all I had to show for my efforts were flushed cheeks and a full stomach. I had tasted almost everything there was to eat and kissed him as many times as socially acceptable.

And even that still wasn't enough.
I could kiss him forever and it would not have been enough.

But as the night was slowly coming to an end, my eyes snagged on the one face I never thought I'd see again.

James.

Malachi clocked him from beside me, his hand squeezing mine as if telling me to go the other way. But I slipped my hand from his anyway, running toward him through the crowd.

"Coralynn, don't—," Mal hissed.

"James," I shouted, running straight into his arms.

I had to see him one last time— my one regret that will haunt me until the day I die.

"Cor," he breathed, letting me practically tackle him. "I heard what happened. And when no one could find you, I thought you were dead."

"I'm fine," I assured him gently. "How are you feeling?"

He separated himself from me a bit, a frown of confusion written all over his face.

"What do you mean? I'm not the one who almost died in a house fire," he said. "I'm just glad that you're alive and you're here."

"I was staying with Gen," I lied. "It was... bad."

They must've wiped his memory clean of his time with them.

"Listen, Cor," he began, voice lowering as his eyes scanned our surroundings anxiously. "We have to get out of here. Something bad is about to go down."

I frowned, feigning ignorance. "What? What do you mean? Wha— James," I shouted as he grabbed my arm and started pulling me away from—

I turned my head to find Mal... he was gone. Panic started to rise in my throat.

"I'll explain everything once we get out of here," he said. "They could be anywhere."

"Who could be anywhere," I asked as I was dragged along behind him.