Chapter 1

It was the first day of summer in the Dragonia Empire, as new Knights and Paladins were promoted from their ranks. Today was the selection for the new recruits to be assigned to their respective positions in the capital, with the representatives of each house present to choose their Knights and Paladins. Numerous trials were presented as a test for recruitment before becoming a warrior in general.

First was a test of knowledge: knowing the rules, identifying the monsters, knowing their weakness, spiritual manipulation, and learning the emblems of each influential noble house. This is a test to know who among the recruits is aware and has learned it's important in the academies they have enrolled in.

Second was a test of swordsmanship: testing the skills of the person while adapting to the circumstances of a fight with magic. Although strength is important, it varies depending on what type of fighting skill the person has when wielding a sword.

Third was a test of comradeship. However, this type of test is only for those who not only wanted to become knights and paladins but also wanted to become Dragon riders. Such as bonding with a compatible Dragonborn in being partners in battle. Although this test is optional after passing the first two, very few would risk taking the test. Mostly the dragon people are in their dragon forms, and they are all part of being Knights and Paladin. In other words, they are the recruitment's seniors.

And even if they couldn't form a bond with a Dragonborn, they are still considered knights after passing the two tests.

In the end, only five among all of those who passed the test took the third. Among them, was the only female in the group. A young 20-year-old redhead named Clarissa Romana.

"You really are crazy for choosing this path of being a Dragon Rider, Riz." Gunter Brierman said to his childhood friend,

Clarissa smirked at him. "Do you really believe I can't be friends with a giant magical dragon just because I'm a girl?" She asked him. "If anything, I'm enchanted by them to the point of wanting to be partners in battle with them."

"I still think that you the highest scores among all of us in the previous two tests is just pure luck." Onyx Houde said, still doubting her, despite knowing the fact she's in the top of their class.

As soon as the five newly made warriors made it to the main field, they were met with several colored dragons, each standing near their family emblems. Many of the Knights and Paladins are observing the final test, alongside the commanders of each house including that of the royal family.

"I didn't think that there were this many spectators." Onyx said,

"Yeah, well, being a Dragon Rider is rare and has the highest respect of the royals." Gunter said to him, "It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be recognized by them and get to work with Dragonborns who are of pure bloodline."

Hearing this made Clarissa even more determined to become a Dragon rider. Just the thought of working alongside one was a dream on her part while being recognized by the royal family was anything but an honor to her. She'd rather not get involved much in their business unless she was ordered to.