CHAPTER 43

Ariana

The field trip was happening the next day. Honestly, I wasn't in the mood to go, but the principal made a last minute decision that it was mandatory for all seniors.

What an ass.

Two school buses were set up, and students were boarding while the teachers did their attendance routine next to the bus.

I lingered in my car for a few extra minutes, eyes fixed on the students forming a line to get on the bus.

Tristan was going to be there, too. I wasn't sure if he was already on the bus or still on his way.

One reason I wasn't keen on this trip was because of him. Our breakup yesterday hit me hard, and facing him now without tearing up seemed impossible.

I still missed him.

But I hated myself more for what went happened at cheer camp. It was a stupid mistake, and I regret every bit of it. He was right; it was all on me.

I let myself get sidetracked and took my relationship with Tristan for granted. That's something I can't forgive myself for.

Once I convinced myself to go, I stepped out of my car and approached the first bus. The teacher checked my name and marked me present before motioning for me to board.

As soon as I stepped in, every eye turned my way. I swallowed hard as it dawned on me.

Seems like everyone knows about our breakup.

I brushed off the stares and whispers, making my way down the aisle to find an empty seat. Finally spotting one near the back, I stashed my bag above and claimed the window seat.

Joanna, Shay, Jacob, and Josh were outside heading for the bus. Seeing the smiles on their faces and the way my besties were hand in hand with their boyfriends hit me hard.

I missed those moments.

I missed holding hands with Tristan as we hung out with our friends after school.

Guess those days are gone.

I turned from the window, grabbed my headphones, connected them to Spotify, and just as I was about to hit play, someone waved their hand in front of my face. I looked up to find Shay standing by my seat.

"Hey." A soft smile greeted me, and I slipped my headphones back, returning the gesture.

"Hi."

"You doing okay?" Her voice carried a note of concern that made my heart waver.

"I'm okay, thanks for asking."

"Good to know. I'll be sitting at the back with Jacob."

I nodded, waving a little. Joanna returned the wave and walked by, heading to the back row with the boys in tow.

I didn't mind that they wanted to sit with their boyfriends. Actually, I welcomed a bit of space and alone time right now, so it's all good.

But when I looked up, my heart skipped a beat as our eyes locked.

Tristan, the last one on the bus, stood there, staring right back at me. Mr. Pierson, our AP English teacher, gestured for him to find a seat. Tristan nodded at him, his eyes briefly glancing at the empty space next to me.

It took me a moment too late to realize I was probably the only one with an empty seat near the back.

Part of me wanted him to sit next to me, but the other part wished he wouldn't because I couldn't handle any awkward moments right now.

My heart thumped loudly as he started coming down the aisle. I couldn't look away, thinking he might actually sit next to me.

But then he stopped, turned to the girl near the aisle, and said something too quiet for me to hear.

Abby suddenly stood up, and my eyes widened in surprise. She moved to the window seat, and Tristan took the space she vacated.

Disappointment sank in, and my heart squeezed so hard it hurt. I slipped my headphones back on, turning towards the window, shutting out the world.

Even if I couldn't escape the situation, I was grateful that music remained my only refuge.