CHAPTER 29

Tristan

Coach made me stay after school for an extra hour of training. Can't say I blamed him; I'd been slacking off. So, I stayed with a few guys, training until it got dark, and the school closed.

Exhausted, I made it to my car, drove home, and parked in the driveway. I walked up to the front door, juggling my gym bag and keys.

As soon as I walked in, I heard voices from the living room. It was Josh, and someone else on the phone, probably Joanna. I dropped my keys on the table and started up the stairs.

Then, I overheard Joanna mentioning Ariana. I couldn't resist and headed back to the living room. Josh was on a FaceTime call with Joanna, the TV muted.

"Did she say where she was going?" Josh asked.

Joanna was on the bed, her face filling up the screen.

"He's taking her to a concert, a private one, and they plan to sneak in together."

The words echoed in my head: "He's taking her to a concert."

"The football guy, Justin, right?" Josh asked.

Joanna nodded. "Yeah, he's into Ari, and they're hitting it off pretty fast."

Justin. Football player. Concert. Crush on Ari.

My fists clenched, and I glared at the TV, struggling to stay calm.

"Oh, hey, Tristan." Joanna suddenly greeted.

I turned and went upstairs before Josh could say anything. I knew he would downplay it, tell me not to worry, that Ari and I would get back together. But was that even realistic?

The picture seemed pretty clear. Ari was having a blast at cheer camp, getting close to some fucking random college guy in a week.

Was that it? Was it over between us? Had she moved on so quickly?

Fuck this. Fuck them and fuck everything else.

I'm fucking done.

Ariana

We snuck into a dim, narrow hallway, stifling our laughter as we moved quietly. Faint music drifted from the end of the corridor, luring us forward until we brushed aside a heavy curtain and stepped into the room where Keshi was performing live.

Honestly, I had pictured the venue to be more like a house or a professional studio, not a trendy warehouse with a stage. My surprise was evident as we entered and I took in the cool setup.

Below the stage, people jostled, their phones poised to capture Keshi's mesmerizing performance.

And, the best part? He was shirtless.

My jaw hung open in a mix of shock and exhilaration as he began a familiar song. I had to stifle a squeal, covering my mouth with my hand.

"Want a better view?" Justin shouted over the music, grabbing my hand. I nodded eagerly.

He grinned and led us up a narrow staircase to the top deck. Only a handful of people stood there. Justin and I leaned on the railings, watching the live performance unfold below us.

"This is the highlight of my entire year. Can you believe we're here, watching Keshi perform live?" I exclaimed.

Justin smiled back at me. "I'm really glad you're enjoying it."

His gaze lingered on me for a moment, and I glanced down at our joined hands. There was something between us, a connection we both sensed. But I hesitated, caught between my burgeoning feelings for Justin and the promise I made to myself about Tristan.