CHAPTER 18

Ariana

I came back downstairs an hour later, all set after some prep time in my room. Shay and Joanna had briefed me on their surprise plan while helping me get ready. They shared how they'd cleverly ditched me at school earlier to set up the surprise.

It was hilarious how they managed to keep me clueless the whole day. I hadn't even considered the idea of celebrating my birthday tonight, not even once.

I slipped into my dress, a chic lilac A-line mini dress I snagged online from Oh Polly a few weeks back. Shay curled my hair, and Jo did my makeup.

"You both look amazing, by the way," I complimented them, admiring their outfits in the mirror.

"Thanks, babe, but you're the showstopper tonight," Shay beamed back.

"Absolutely, it's your 18th birthday, after all," Jo chimed in, making us all smile.

"Oh, before I forget, we got you something," Shay said, placing the curling iron down and grabbing a gift from my bed.

I spun around in my chair. "No way, you really didn't have to."

"Come on, it's kind of tradition now. We always get each other something on birthdays," Jo said, and I pouted playfully while Shay picked up the gift.

Shay returned, handing me a bag with adorable pink bows tied around it. I put it on the vanity and opened it, finding a cute purple picture frame inside, engraved with J. A. S at the top.

 Joanna, Ariana and Shay

I playfully scowled at them and reached back into the bag, pulling out something larger this time. It was a charming turquoise Instax Mini 12 camera.

"Oh my gosh, this is so cute! Thank you, guys!" I hugged them both, thrilled with the gift.

"We decided to switch things up this year, go for something unique," Jo explained.

I smiled, looking at the camera in my hands. "I love it. Thank you so much."

"So, here's the deal. We take a group selfie with the camera and put the Polaroid in that frame," Shay explained. It finally clicked for me.

"Ah, got it! Come closer." They gathered around me, and I held the camera high.

"Smile bitches!" I exclaimed, pressing the button, and the camera flashed.

I lowered my hand, and the Polaroid started to develop. I shook it gently, watching our picture appear inside the frame.

"We look so pretty," Shay gushed.

I turned around, grabbed the picture frame, and carefully slid the Polaroid inside. It fits perfectly. I couldn't stop grinning as I placed it next to my other frames on the nightstand—each one holding precious memories with these two, my parents, and one with Tristan and me.

"Alright, ladies, let's get this party started!" I shouted, and they both cheered, linking arms as we left the room.

"Dance The Night" by Dualipa played softly downstairs while most of the guests moved outside, enjoying the party by the poolside. Some even changed into swimsuits, splashing around in the pool, which amused me.

We descended the stairs, and I spotted Tristan making his way toward us from across the room. His hands were behind his back, and he smiled at me, his eyes trailing down my dress.

"Careful, Blake," he teased, his voice low, "your dress might get us into trouble tonight. But I don't want to distract you from your own party."

I blushed. "Good thing we both enjoy a little trouble at parties, huh?"

He smirked, his eyes flickering to my lips, reminding me of the night we spent at Shay's house during that party.

That unforgettable night in the guestroom. God, I could never forget that night

"Guys!" Joanna interrupted, and we turned to face her.

"Get closer together! I'll take a picture of you two. This is perfect, c'mon." she said, holding up the Mini 12 camera.

I smiled at Tristan as he wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me close. We posed for the photo, and Joanna quickly snapped it. She passed the developed picture to Shay.

"Hold this. Okay, one more, you guys!" she called, and I hugged Tristan close, grinning at the camera. The flash went off, and we pulled away, but his arm stayed around me.

"I got something for you," he said, excitement bubbling inside me.

He revealed a small black velvety box, and my jaw dropped as I saw the beautiful necklace inside with the infinity pendant.

"Wow," I whispered, still staring at the necklace.

Tristan took it out of the box, smiling at me as he placed it around my neck. I moved my hair to the side, and he leaned in, fastening the necklace.

I touched the infinity pendant, hanging just below my collarbone. 

"Thank you, it's really beautiful," I said, leaning into his touch.

He reached into his shirt and pulled out a similar necklace with the same infinity pendant.

"You got us matching necklaces?" I asked, excitement evident in my voice.

"Yeah. They're custom-made. Till infinity, right?" he said, his eyes sparkling.

I grinned and hugged him, pulling him in for a kiss. He held me close, and we both pulled away just in time when Jo and Shay handed us the Polaroid photos.

Tristan took one and slipped the Polaroid inside his phone cover and showed it to me. I kissed his cheek and did the same, knowing I would cherish this moment forever.

"Ari, it's cake time!" my father called from outside.

I reached for Tristan's hand, our fingers intertwining. He grinned at me, squeezing my hand before we joined the others outside by the pool to cut my birthday cake.