CHAPTER 2

Ariana

We all gathered at the cafeteria for lunch – Joanna, Shay, Tristan, Josh, and Jacob. It was great to have the gang back together. Honestly, if I hadn't texted in the group chat, these morons would've ditched school for lunch elsewhere.

The cafeteria food wasn't the main attraction though. Joanna and Josh were still going strong, and Shay and Jacob had just started dating. So, naturally, they wanted some alone time during school hours.

The cafeteria buzzed with voices and laughter. Tristan and I sat side by side, cozying up while Joanna tried to capture our moment for Instagram.

I planned to let Tristan handle the posting. I've been taking a break from social media, having deleted the app last weekend.

Jo handed me Tristan's phone after taking the photo, and we both peered at the screen while I scrolled through the pictures.

"I don't like this angle. Take another one, focusing on our side, so the background isn't visible," I suggested.

I passed the phone back to Johanna, who sighed dramatically.

"For someone on a social media break, you're pretty concerned about these pictures," she teased.

I made a funny face at her and leaned closer to Tristan.

"It's for Tristan's followers, not mine," I replied, playfully.

She rolled her eyes, grinning, before snapping more pictures. Tristan and I kept smiling and changing poses until he leaned in and kissed me on the cheek, signaling the end of the impromptu photoshoot.

As we reviewed the pictures, a freshman girl approached our table, wearing a nervous smile.

"Hi, Ariana," she stammered. "I was wondering... when are the cheerleading tryouts? Is it happening this week?"

I admired her confidence in approaching me for this.

Before I could respond, Joanna cut in sharply, "Wait for the announcement. You'll find out then."

I shot Joanna a warning look and turned back to the girl, offering a warm smile.

"Cheer tryouts doesn't start until the second week of school. We'll post the announcement on the school notice board by the end of the week. You'll need to prepare a routine and show us on Monday. Does that answer your question?"

Her face lit up with relief, and she eagerly nodded.

"Yes, I understand. Thank you."

"You're welcome," I said, smiling back.

She left our table, excitedly sharing the news with her friends. I caught Joanna's strange expression.

"What?" I asked, frowning.

"Aren't you taking the 'nice' act too seriously?" she questioned.

"I wasn't acting," I replied, surprised.

"Right. So, what's up? Are you ditching the whole facade and suddenly becoming nice to everyone this year?"

Her words bothered me.

"Yes, is that a problem? Can't I just be myself without causing a scene?"

She glanced down, her lips pressed in a thin line.

"I'm just saying, everyone's watching. Your new hair and attitude might stir up rumors in the first week."

I set my fork down, my appetite vanishing.

"I don't care. I'm not trying to impress anyone or attract attention. I just want a normal school life without all the drama."

Silence settled over the table after my outburst. The boys tried to ease the tension with small talk, but Tristan's comforting smile couldn't dispel my mood.

The rest of the day was a blur. I couldn't concentrate in my last classes and left school early. I convinced Tristan to go home too, despite his efforts to spend time together.

I arrived home to find Mom cooking dinner in the kitchen. She hummed softly while preparing salad.

I dropped my school bag on the counter and took a seat.

"Hey, honey, how was school today?" she asked, glancing over her shoulder.

"Okay, I guess," I replied with a disheartened tone.

"I was surprised when Tristan came by this morning. He wanted to surprise you, but you were already gone for school."

I perked up at the news.

"Really? He came over? He didn't mention it this morning."

"But did he manage to surprise you though?" I leaned on the marble counter, cupping my face with my hands.

"Yeah, he did."

"That was sweet of him."

He really was. I wanted to focus on Tristan, but Joanna's words from the cafeteria kept haunting me. I couldn't stop thinking about them.

But so what if people talk behind my back? Who cares about the rumors they might spread? And who needs to know what they post about me on social media?

This year was about being me. I'd spent the last three years of high school obsessing over my reputation and worrying about what people thought of me, and it had only given me migraines.

I'd opened up to someone who loved every imperfection about me without judgment. If he could accept me as I am, that's all I needed.

No one else's opinion could outweigh how much I valued Tristan. Not my friends, not the school, and certainly not my social media followers. Tristan's perspective was what mattered most.

He was the reason I was letting go of my popularity and focusing on being true to myself.

Nothing else could come between us, and that was all that mattered.