Page 36

*I could feel the tears streaming down my face as I looked for Sam, my eyes darting around frantically as I tried to find him. "Sam?" I called out again, my voice shaking as I crawled around on the ground. "Sam, please wake up."*

*Then, suddenly, I noticed something, a flash of red against the dark ground beneath me. I stared at it for a moment, my eyes straining to make sense of the shape until the truth hit me.*

*My breath caught in my throat as I realized what I was seeing.

*There before me was Sam's body, his blood slowly spreading over the ground. His pale face was pale as snow, and his breath was shallow as I held his body in my arms, my heart torn apart. My body trembled with every breath I took, and as I looked up, I could see the demon glaring down at me.*

*The world began to blur, my head spinning as tears filled my eyes. "No...No, no, this isn't happening." I whispered, my breath catching in my throat as I tried to wake Sam up.

*I started to shake Sam's body, begging him to wake up as my tears fell onto his face. I wanted him to open his eyes, to tell me that this was all some terrible nightmare and that when we woke up, we would be back at home, safe and warm in our beds.*

*But there was no movement, no sound, and as I lifted Sam's arm, I could see the deep cut in his chest. It was over. This wasn't a dream. We were never going home.

I stared down at Sam's face in abject horror as the gravity of the situation began to set in. I felt the demon's eyes on me, its face filled with malice as it leaned down. *What do I say?* I thought hysterically as I looked at Sam's blank eyes, and as tears continued to stream down my face, all I could manage were a few broken words. *Sam...I'm sorry...I failed...."

My body trembled as I hugged his body close, and as my tears fell onto his face, I could feel the heat of his blood on my skin.

As the demon knelt down, its face twisted in mockery, I could feel my heart beating in my chest, my blood pounding in my ears. As it placed a bloody hand on my shoulder, I could hear a deep, rumbling laugh leaving its lips as it slowly turned to face me.

"Well, well, well, look what we have here."

It tilted its head, its eyes narrowing as they looked me over. *"So, you're the one that dared to kill my precious rival, the only one who stood between me and my prize? What a shame..."