Page 33

I stared into the distance, my eyes narrowed against the thick fog that had settled in as the night wore on. There was a sense of danger in the air, the sounds of the forest now replaced by a haunting silence. I could feel Sam beside me, his breath hot and heavy as he slowly backed away from the source of the light.

*Just then, like a bolt of lightning, a loud *crack* echoed in the distance, followed by the sound of crunching leaves and snapping twigs. As we both turned to look, a flash of red appeared in the fog, a faint shadow standing against the backdrop.

*I looked towards the source of the noise, my eyes narrowing as I tried to pierce through the fog. I could feel Sam beside me, his breathing as quick as my own. The light in the distance was still glowing, a faint shadow still standing against the backdrop. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, my mind racing with thoughts.*

*"What do we do?" Sam asked, his voice filled with fear. I could tell that he was thinking the same thing I was, and as we stood there in the darkness, the silence was deafening.

*A deep feeling of dread washed over me as I took in my surroundings. The fog was thick and unrelenting, the light in the distance still glowing a haunting red. I could hear the sound of my own quickened breath and as I turned to look at Sam, I saw a look of fear in his eyes as well.*

*"We need to find out what's out there."* He spoke up, and I could hear the urgency in his voice. *"We have to, for our own safety."

*The light in the distance was starting to affect me, my heart pounding in my chest and my mind racing with questions. I could see the same look in Sam's eyes, and as I took in the sound of our surroundings, I slowly began to realize what the silence meant. Something was out there, and whatever it was, it was keeping a close eye on us.*

*I felt a sudden rush of fear wash over me, and my body instantly went into survival mode. The world around me began to slow and my mind began to race with possibilities.*

*Something was out there, watching in the shadows. I could feel it, the way that my skin was crawling and every nerve in my body was on edge. I turned to look up at Sam, his face filled with fear and uncertainty as well. As we looked at each other, I could hear his shallow breaths and I felt the same way. We were surrounded, out of our element and at the mercy of whatever the shadow in the dark held.

*"Jake, what should we do?" Sam asked, his voice shaky and tense. "There's something out there, I can feel it." I turned my head, my eyes darting around as I tried to take in my surroundings. The fog was thicker than ever now, and the moon that had filled the sky earlier was now hidden behind it.*

*A sense of darkness and dread had creeped over me, the sound of our surroundings somehow even more ominous than before. As I looked at Sam, I could see the panic in his eyes. "It's not safe here," I muttered, my voice hushed.