Page 30

*The merchant was a tall, thin man, and as he spoke, he looked at the king with concern.*

*"Your highness," he said, his voice filled with worry. "I'm not sure what you expect us to do with such limited information."*

*The king looked at the merchant for a moment, and then he let out a deep sigh.*

*"I understand your concerns," he said, his voice calm but still filled with emotion. "But I want you to know that I am already working on finding more answers."

*Just as the king was about to start speaking again, I saw Sam take a step forward. He looked at the king for a moment, and then he spoke. "Your highness, we were hoping that maybe you knew more than just what the merchant had said."*

*The king looked over at Sam, and just as I saw the surprise on his face, he let out a small laugh.*

*"I see that you've spoken to the beast."*

*Both Sam and I nodded, and as we shared a look, I saw a slight smile cross the king's face. It was as though he understood that we were trying to help.*

*And as I saw him take a step forward, I realized that I was about to ask him a favor.*

*"What I want to ask you, your highness, is if you could help us find answers for the kingdom. We know that there is something happening here, and as we speak to more people, we will continue to learn more."

*As I finished speaking, the king thought for a moment and then he spoke.*

*"What you say is true, and I know that there is something happening here. But as you know, there are others who would rather see our kingdom fall than see it prosper."*

*Just as I saw Sam's eyes widen at this, I also realized what the king was implying.*

*"That's why," he continued, his voice filled with resolve. "I would like to offer you both a job."

*Just as I saw the surprise pass over Sam's face, I heard him take a deep breath.*

*"Are you asking us to help protect the kingdom?"* he asked, his voice filled with excitement and anticipation.

*The king looked at us for a moment, and then he nodded slowly.*

*"That's exactly what I'm asking," he said, his voice filled with confidence. "I believe that your courage will help to protect our people, and just as he finished speaking, I felt my heart begin to race.*

*Just as I looked over at Sam, I could see him nodding excitedly, and as he turned to look at the king, he spoke.*

*"Of course, we would be happy to help protect the kingdom."*

*The king smiled, and as he did, I felt a wave of gratitude wash over me. I knew that this was our chance, and just as Sam spoke, I knew that we would make the most of it.