Chapter 39: Cafune

A/n: This chapter takes place during that first fight we see between Kakashi and Itachi but I'm not gonna write it down because I can't since it's too good so just rewatch the episode or reread the chapter.

       The Leaf village seemed more hollow than he remembered it to be, or atleast grey now devoid of colour as Itachi walked in familiar paths and the same old streets.

       Kisame whistled beside him, as if trying his best to draw attention but both did notice the lack of shinobi in the village. Kisame sighed, "I probably won't get a good time if all the good shinobi are out of your village."

        But Itachi simply shook his head knowing that they wouldn't be that stupid and that there was still Danzo and his Root Foundation.

       "Hmm.. you wouldn't say that if you knew Nhira is here."

      Itachi almost laughed at how Kisame's eyes widened and the squeak of his voice as he recoiled. "Wait, is she here?" Itachi smiled seeing his partner shudder.

        'These two were always so comical.'

      "Are you still afraid of her, Kisame?"

       Kisame frowned, he could almost hear the gloating in Itachi's voice. "Itachi, I said it once I'll say it again. She's a crazy bitch."

         "You don't wish to fight her again?"
      "No, I'm not crazy. That's why I would never understand the two of you. I'm not so much of afraid of her as I am wary. Underestimating the Autumn Demoness is a fool's endeavour."

       People passed them by, completely and totally unaware. Itachi stopped, as they passed by the dango shop. His mother loved the sweet, soft dessert and over time and in her memory he learned to enjoy it to.

       "Itachi!"

       Izumi's ever eternal, cheerful smile flashed in his mind and he looked away and took a step away from the dango shop but as he got farther from it the more his heart felt left behind and so, he turned around dragging Kisame with him and into the shop of his childhood.

      And they sat there sipping hot, green tea and eating soft balls of sweet cloud like dessert.

        "Oho, so that's your brother huh. He's nothing like you."

        Kisame was vaguely aware of how happy that remark had made Itachi. It was the farthest thing he wanted Sasuke to be, someone like him. A scoundrel that would murder his own flesh and blood.

        "I guess, that's why you and Nhira are the same after all."

      Itachi snorted, they continued to walk as he threw the dango stick away and it flew through the air impaling an insect to a tree bark.

        "I thought you said underestimating her was stupid."

       Kisame looked at him as if he wasn't making any sense. "That is exactly the difference between us. Her brother is dead."

        "I don't get it."

      Itachi closed his eyes as Nhira's alluring voice rang in his head. "If Naruto is harmed I will deliver your brother to Danzo in a silver platter."

        "She is not above holding Sasuke hostage."

        "That's rich," his partner snorted. "Coming from the brother who murdered his parents for his baby brother. You're the same, maybe that's why you have this unhealthy codependency on each other."

       "Maybe, or maybe you don't know what you're talking about Kisame. You don't have siblings, remember?"

       But Kisame always knew, just how unlucky Itachi and Nhira were and how they found solace in the similarities of their situations.