Chapter 5: A Good Liar

Dreaming about the day
when you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
has been here the whole time

If you could see that I'm the one
Who understands you
Been here all along
So, why can't you see?

You belong with me
You belong with me

-You Belong With Me (Taylor's version), Taylor Swift

"It's not that special really. It's just, um... I was thinking about quitting." Ai began, she fiddled with her fingers nervously retelling a memory of someone else. 'Well, that person is dead now. So I guess it doesn't matter if I borrow your story.'

"Ten years ago, I met you." Blue eyes glanced sideways, "Then, I don't know. Maybe because you were a stranger or something but I told you I wanted to give up and you said, "It'll be fine. Everything will work out, you just have to hold on and fight like hell."

"I- uh... It just stuck with me and I couldn't forget it." She smiled as she said so, pleasing and relaxed. 'That smile's really gorgeous, as if you've taken off a burden from your back.' Guy was surprised, black eyes round and mouth shut tightly and then, he nodded. Excessively, like he'd shake his head from his neck.

'I said that huh... Why don't I remember?'

Guy sighed. Kakashi wanted to point out, to his friend all the times he forgot the names of the people he'd fought with. That his memory was strange like that. 'But then again,' Guy thought, 'It's really a short meeting so maybe I forgot? But.. I don't think I'd forget a face like Miss Ai. If not for a daily dose of Areayis's ridiculously, unbelievable beauty that made me a little thick-skinned, I'd be drooling. Really,' Guy looked at Ai and although he wasn't one for appearances, she had a beautiful face that was hard to forget.

'Some people just have too much of some things.'

"Guy-san, it's okay." Then, she smiled at him with her eyes folded. It seemed as if flowers bloomed in the background and light burst out in brilliant hues. "I mean, sometimes what's memorable to someone is just a fleeting moment to somebody else." The feeling of guilt crept up slowly. Watching a dainty, sweet little lady with wide eyes and a sad face evoked an innate feeling of sensitivity.

Guy opened his lips to comfort his new acquaintance but Kakashi bested him to it. "Hey, we should order something. What do you want Ai? My treat." Her eyes glimmered at the mention of food and she brightened up like a flower watered after a long time.  'As expected of my eternal rival. Unexpectedly, Kakashi and Ai look good together.'

"Guy-sensei?" Someone called out from behind them and simultaneously, they all turned back to first notice brilliant white hair glowing like rays of starlight. Waves of pearl pink and pale crystal blue reflected from the long braided hair. Besides her were two watchful eyes of the Byakugan.

'This girl..' A genuinely shocked expression crossed Ai's face for a brief moment. Her expression was frigid and her hand froze. Her eyes focused, sharp and cold, subtly and unnoticed by any of them except the mermaid staring right back. 'Is that the mermaid he told me about?'

"Witch."

Only Neji heard the very silent word Areayis muttered. "What?" Her black eyes stared straight ahead like a cat on catnip and every ounce of a smile vanished. "Areayis," Neji called out and as soon as he did, Areayis blinked and the wary expression disappeared as if she'd never had it. And Areayis had the same exact expression Ai had, frozen shock in disbelief. As Kakashi watched the silent tension that burst out of the blue, he noticed a flash of silver from Areayis's void black eyes.