Chapter 22: Rendezvous

They had been sitting there for quite some time and Itachi was quiet as he always was, not so subtly watching her.

'What happened I wonder. She's always live and talkative.'

A small, faint smile graced his lips remembering how much of a chatterbox she was and how she moved her hands when she talked.

"You seem distracted." He commented, stuffing a matcha-flavoured dango in his mouth. Her unfocused eyes cleared up. She looked at him, shaking her head subtly.

"Yeah, I'm just thinking about something." What she was truly thinking of was her and Areayis's conversation. The girl's arrival reminded her of other threats and gave her more things she worried about.

'She's right. I'll leave someday.'

And whether she would convince Kakashi to elope with her was a foregone conclusion. Like her mother and father had.

She looked around and noticed the full shop, tables full it was filled with chatter and laughter. One table away from them was a group of friends, chirping away and making jokes.

"It's kinda sad how you're my only friend, Itachi."

"Speaks levels to how lonely you are."

She shook her head and took a sip, pointedly she corrected him. "Not lonely. Miserable... Especially now that you have a shiny new best friend. Shark bastard." She mumbled the last words to herself with clear irritation.

Itachi heard her anyway and chuckled, she and Kisame had always been at odds. Ever since. "Are you jealous?" He asked with a cocked brow.

Nhira glowered, in a playful manner he had gotten used to and with a mocking high-pitched voice, she mimicked him. "Are you jealous?" She rolled her eyes.

"You're still my closest friend though."
She scoffed and then, the harshness melted away. "I know, after Shisui.." They both fell into silence remembering him and they lifted their cups, although not wine and raised a toast to Shisui.

"To Shisui, and wherever he may be.

He ate most of the dango, he'd known from a long time ago that although she had a sweet tooth she didn't eat much. Just pecked at food like a dainty little bird.

"Eat more."

"But really Itachi. I'm not jealous of Kisame. No, not really. At least someone looks after you now. Since you don't value your life so much."

She looked at him, her blue eyes had a pressing look on them. Urging him with words he had heard her say a thousand times before. "You do matter Itachi. You have to take care of your health."

The Uchiha simply shrugged and changed the course of the subject. "Kisame says hi." She laughed, quietly and told him, "Tell him I said this," before she stuck out her tongue like a kid.

"Nhira, eat that and let's go. We need to leave soon. People are starting to be suspicious."

Amongst the customers, there were a few combatants that they noticed with the weapons they carried and the way they moved. Nhira judged that some groups were rogues and some were shinobi from other villages.