Chapter 50: The Day Love Died

"Just like my father before me and his father before him. I must be of service to my nation, the Village Hidden in the Leaves."
-Sasuke Uchiha, Falling for Temptation

'I can feel the sun on my skin as it filters through the leaves. This is not a dream. It's a memory,' Kakashi thought to himself.

The dappled sunlight filtering through the leaves cast a warm, ethereal glow on Nhira's face as she leaned against a sturdy oak trunk. A sigh of contentment escaping her lips as she closed her eyes. A peaceful smile playing on her lips as she reveled in the quiet symphony of the forest - the rustle of leaves, the chirp of unseen birds, the gentle hum of insects.

Kakashi, his mask resting forgotten on a nearby rock, emerged from the trees, his movements softer, more delicate than usual.

He approached slowly, the rustle of leaves the only sound breaking the tranquil silence. Reaching Nhira, he crouched beside her, his gaze tracing the gentle rise and fall of her chest. Hesitantly, he reached out, a single fingertip brushing a stray strand of hair from her cheek.

His touch was feather-light, sending a shiver down her spine. Nhira's eyes fluttered open, meeting his gaze. The world around them seemed to fade away.

His gaze lingering on the way the sunlight seemed to set her very features alight. A tenderness, rarely seen, softened his usually stoic expression.

Nhira's eyes fluttered open, shimmering with a warmth that sent a familiar flutter through Kakashi's chest. A blush stained her cheeks as her gaze locked with his. Words seemed to catch in his throat, rendered unnecessary.

"You're beautiful, Nhira," he murmured, his voice a low rumble that sent a delicious warmth through her.

Nhira's breath hitched.

Without a word, she leaned in, closing the distance between them. Kakashi met her halfway, his touch reverent as he cupped her face.

Their kiss was soft and tender. It spoke volumes more than any words ever could. It was a meeting of souls, a silent promise whispered against each other's lips. In that stolen moment, time seemed to stand still. The world around them faded away, leaving only the warmth of his touch, the gentle press of his lips.

Nhira's eyes fluttered open as they parted, a smile tugging at her lips. She nudged him playfully with her elbow, she loved to tease him. "The kids tire you out too much, Kakashi-sensei?"

Kakashi chuckled, a low rumble that sent a shiver down her spine. One eye peeked open, the familiar crinkled smile creasing the corner. "Their energy is through the roof especially Naruto.. so, I promised that next time I'd bring you with me Nhira-chan," he said, his voice a husky murmur. He sat up slowly, his movements fluid as he turned to face her. The space between them seemed to shrink, the air thickening with unspoken emotions.

Nhira's breath hitched as their shoulders brushed. Tentatively, Kakashi reached out, his calloused fingertip tracing the soft outline of her cheek. His touch sent a jolt of electricity through her, making her heart skip a beat. "Every moment with you feels like a stolen treasure, Nhira," he murmured, his voice so quiet it was almost reverent.

Nhira's gaze drifted to his lips, the desire in his single visible eye mirroring the yearning in her own heart. With a tenderness that surprised even her, Nhira reached up, her fingers brushing against the smooth skin revealed by the absence of his mask.

Kakashi leaned into her touch, his breath catching in his throat. Slowly, gently, he closed the distance between them. Their lips met once more, this time hungrier and more demanding.