Chapter 12: Illusion and Flutter

A/n: So, the format I'll use for the voice talking in her head is bold, and aligned right.

"You're seducing him. Of course, he wants you. Well, wants to fuck you at least. You've done this countless times before. Why's this time any different? What makes him so special?"

'Shut up, Lust. Go back to your cage or I'll tighten the chains.'

"But you know it's true. Look how he smiles, see how he looks at you? That's desire written all over his face. He's just like all the others."

"Ai?"

Her head snapped up to him, and the glazed-over blue eyes cleared up immediately. "Penny for your thoughts?" The two of them, she and Kakashi were walking back home after dropping Naruto off. She laughed half-heartedly, "It was nothing. It's just, I'm sad for him." Kakashi stole a quick glance at her. "Naruto?" She nodded, rubbing her palms together. "He looks so happy playing with adults, makes me wonder... When's the last time he played with children his age?"

'How much happier would he have been if he wasn't a jinchuuriki? Or.... If things happened differently.'

Kakashi didn't answer. He knew all too well. They kept walking in silence. "Do you ever wonder...what kind of parent you'd make? I do. Sometimes." She asked spontaneously, his footsteps dragged a little as he got over the momentary shock. "What kind of parent would you be?" There was a bitter smile on her face as she answered him. "A horrible one."

"Why?"

She wrung her hands and meekly answered, "Because, I won't be able to protect him."

"Him?"

"Well, I've always wanted a boy first."

A question in Kakashi's mind was extinguished. The wind blew colder and stronger. The rustling of the leaves became stronger. He felt the eyes of hidden shinobi on patrol pass them by as they walked casually side by side. "Is that why you're so fond of Naruto?" She glanced at him and held his s gaze for a moment, stopping her footsteps as she did. She shrugged. "Perhaps." She blew her breath and watched it fog up in front of her, a flash of words and a vision entered Kakashi's mind. 'This is so familiar to that one scene in Icha-icha.'

From the corner of his eye, he noticed her shivering and yet, she kept her back straight and walked on through. He hesitated but, after another moment of her shivering and trying to shrug the cold away, Kakashi quickly removed the black, cotton jacket he wore and smoothly draped it over her shoulders.

He held his breath, closely watching her reaction like a hawk. The hem fluttered and fell, and the zipper was cold to the touch but his warmth seeped through her clothes, kissing her bare skin and heating up her cheeks.

She froze.

Ai's red locks fell over her face and he couldn't see her expression. Her silence had Kakashi clutching his heart. The celebration going off in his head because he pulled off the manoeuvre smoothly screeched to a halt, even the thanks he'd been offering to Jiraiya vanished into thin air.