Chapter 1: Smitten

He was dreaming.

"Where in the world are we?"
Spiralling towers of ivory and iron and a bustling city surrounded them. Creatures of every kind in a busy flurry. Kakashi pulled the Kazekage by the sleeve as they found themselves pushed to the other side by the crowds.

"Where's the boy?" Darui was the first to notice the missing Arima, their supposed to be guide who left them in the middle of nowhere. And when Mei realized the boy was missing, "That brat."

"You..."

As soon as Gaara was able to reel from the sudden nausea that hit them when they were whisked away, he noticed someone else with them.
The man who resembled Lee. "Might Guy."

"Guy? You're here too?" Kakashi asked, somewhat relieved. Guy grinned and nodded when all was accounted for they began to take in their surroundings much more clearly. They were no longer where humans walked. Immediately, the bright and sharp fashion of the people had them standing out like sore thumbs. Encrusted jewels and embroidery. White and bright colors dominated the streets and the feeling of the new place itself.

"Hey!" Their heads whipped in the same direction at the sight of a soldier clad in iron armour calling out to them. The soldier, clad in gleaming silver armour that seemed almost skin-tight, stomped towards them, his face thunderous. His voice, when he spoke, resonated with an authoritative boom that echoed in the bustling crowds.

The soldier strode towards them, his boots crunching on the shimmering, white pavement. He stopped before them, his gaze taking in their appearance with disdain. "You lot," he barked, his voice grating like unoiled gears, "you're not exactly blending in."

"Identify yourselves and your purpose in Castalier, the citadel of White Tower!"
Kakashi, ever the diplomat, stepped forward. "Greetings, officer. We're not looking for trouble." A bead of sweat trickled down Kakashi's cheek under his mask. He flashed a placating smile, hoping to defuse the situation before Gaara or Mei let loose their temper. "We're just visitors from another land, and, as you can see, we're a bit lost. Could you point us in the direction of... well, anywhere that might welcome five travelers in need of guidance?" The soldier had a funny way of speaking, Kakashi noticed.

The soldier scoffed. "Lost, eh? That's a convenient story. More likely, thieves are what I say. These streets are crawling with them these days." His gaze flickered to Gaara, lingering on the Kazekage's sand-armored form. "And one of you even dresses like a walking sandstorm. Suspicious, to say the least." Gaara's eyes narrowed, a ripple of sand dancing around him in response to the veiled threat.
The tension in the air crackled like static. Onoki, the Tsuchikage, cleared his throat, his voice raspy with age but laced with authority.

"Let's not resort to hasty accusations. Surely there's a more civilized way to resolve this... misunderstanding." Darui, the pragmatist, stepped forward. "Perhaps a simple demonstration of our abilities would be enough to ease your concerns," he proposed, his voice steady and calm. "Show them a glimpse of our skills, and they'll see we're no threat." He spoke in a distinct, almost rapping-like manner. But they knew fighting would not be in their favour, especially with their lack of knowledge of their surroundings.

Tensions hung heavy in the air. Gaara, ever vigilant, noticed a flicker of movement in the crowd. A small figure, barely visible through the throngs of people, was watching them intently. Arima, their missing guide, was back. In his dark eyes, a spark of mischief danced alongside a glint of steel.