Chapter 15: Idletown

A/n: So, this may be confusing but from now on I'll use Nhira's real name to refer to her. Other characters that don't know her name at this point will still call her 'Ai', hope it's not too confusing. Remember her alias is 'Ai', but her real name is 'Nhira'. Enjoy.

"People are staring at us.." Nhira whispered to Kakashi, subtly ignoring the peeking eyes of fellow shinobi at them. Early that day, the Third Hokage summoned the available jonins of the village for a briefing.

She let her hair down purposely to cover the marks he'd left on her body. The small, red little love marks. Even the bruises around her neck had become faint and almost healed a clear mark of her Uzumaki heritage.

Some crude ones pointed, others whispered thinking they wouldn't be noticed. Others stared, some with judgment, others amused, and some with envy, eyes lingering at the exposed marks he'd left on her skin.

Her exposed neck and the shy peeking cleavage. Her arms and the back of her neck. Even her ankles, encased by the blue sandals she never liked to wear. Like rose petals blooming on her skin.

If they'd noticed, no one talked to them about it. Even when it was basically an announcement. They held hands, fingers intertwined, and sat together, leaning against each other. Talking in whispers and giggles.

After that night, they could hardly resist each other. Something hit Nhira and Kakashi, an attraction or other, so hard and fast and heavy. They spent every waking hour together, and even in sleep they dreamt of each other.

Anyone with eyes, perhaps even those without, and a little bit of sense could able to tell how the two had become inseparable. She was always smiling, at him. A giddy, school girl with a crush kind of smile. And him, his eyes followed her with a tenderness that was so alien to his cold-blooded reputation.

It was an atmosphere that affected all around them. Such a noticeable change to the always alone Kakashi and a crashing introduction to Nhira, whose name they still knew as Ai. The bewitching beauty who'd ensnared one of the most dangerous shinobi of their village.

That was to say, they hadn't seen her before and had no knowledge of her abilities. It was, quite often overshadowed by her beauty and Nhira loved to use that assumption to her advantage.

She smiled, a more sinister one underneath the lovestruck one. Her image in their minds, the regular 'daytime' shinobi as those in the root jokingly called them thought of her as just another one of them. More beautiful, frighteningly so, but nothing more.

And in their minds, and their words she had been known as the Kakashi's lover. That was identity and she knew that only the real sensible shinobi wasn't foolish enough to dismiss her as that.

But that was fine. As long as most were unsuspecting. Like sheep herding together, unable to tell that a wolf was in their midst and their shepherd, the Third Hokage, turned a blind eye to it.

The meeting commenced shortly after the attendance had been accounted for. He began to talk, the old and hoarse voice echoing clearly in the room, the barely quiet room.

Nhira and Kakashi were quiet as they seemed to listen, they showed no signs otherwise. It was after all an official meeting but, they touched each. And glanced and smiled at each other in sweet, tacit understanding.

The others just smiled and let them be, the older ones shaking their heads. Guy, as Nhira had expected to say something or tease his rival was noticeably absent. She remembered late, that his team including the little mermaid she'd met briefly before was on a mission.

Returning later than they should have, raised a flag of concern. Nhira sighed, brushing against Kakashi as her eyes trailed ahead and she pretended to listen attentively although only one ear was paying attention.