Chapter 11: Refrain

A/n: Lyrics highlighted in bold italics are Taylor Swift's You're on Your Own, Kid. For a better reading experience listen to it and yes, this is a continuance cause I can't seem to fi...sh all my thoughts.

I closed off all easy roads leading to me
but I'm reachable if you are willing to go the extra mile
-UNKNOWN|TheMindsJournal

From sprinkler splashes to fireplace ashes
I called a taxi to take me there

She smiled and waved a piece of paper. They had just come from the Hokage's building, the assigning room. She observed them and breathed a sigh of relief as they seemed happy with what they were assigned to do. She laughed in her mind when she remembered how Kakashi said that they, specifically Naruto, complained all the time. The sun had already begun to set.

"Wow... The day goes by so fast." Naruto exclaimed, they had just dropped Sakura off at her house and Sasuke, being who he is refused to be escorted home grumbling, "I can take care of myself." Ai smiled, while patting his head replied to the blonde, "They say, when you enjoy what you're doing time flies by quickly." He grinned, "I really did."

Right around the corner was Ichiraku Ramen, Ai hesitated for a while. 'Uh, I think Naruto's gonna turn into a noodle if he eats more ramen since it's all he eats...but...' Her thoughts trailed off as she watched his eyes light up at the sight of the store. "Hey, why don't we go to Ichiraku Naruto? I heard their ramen is great. My treat."

"Really?! You want to go big sister? Let's go!" He exclaimed excitedly, grabbing and dragging her there. His bright smile lit up the whole place and put her turbulent heart at ease. 'Am I doing the right thing?'

I search the party of better bodies
Just to learn that my dreams aren't rare

"Where are you going?" Danzo, the kind man who had taken her in, asked as he sat on a Others'schair, a window open in front of him overlooking the village. For the first time in months, she had clean and pretty clothes to wear. A jacket to keep her warm, pants without holes and long enough to keep mosquitos away. "I heard that Sakumo Hatake had a son... I wanted to meet him.." She answered politely.

Looking down, her hands seemingly too interesting suddenly. If only at the time she knew the schemes brewing in the elders' heads. "I see. He's a genius too." Hearing him, her brows scrunched together slightly. She didn't understand why the question of the boy's brilliance was brought up. "Oh, is he?" She simply said. That wasn't the reason she wanted to see him, she didn't care if he was a fool or a wise man. That didn't matter. 'I just... Want to see that man's son? I couldn't thank him at the time..'

"Don't stay out too late, alright?" A smile beamed from her face when Danzo gave her the permission to go. She slipped to the door and quickly went about her way. "Finally. I've found the Leaf village." Still, with the weathered smile on her face and the setting sun, she looked up to see the statues of the previous Hokage. The first through the fourth.

She stared for some time at the fourth's face. Her uncle-in-law. "Dad talked about him a lot. I wonder if he was really silly." She only mumbled to herself, her habit of talking to herself remained but she learned a long time ago the price of thinking out loud. The picture of his death and Kushina's overlapped with her own parents. The young girl shook her head to push it away. Then, her thoughts drifted to her cousin barely two days old still at the hospital.