Chapter 10: "Youth is Wasted on the Young."

A/n: For better reading experience listen to Taylor Swift's You're on Your Own, Kid. Part 2 anybody?

From afar, hiding in the shadows was one of the Root Anbu shinobi. As Ai laughed and continued to talk with the children, she noticed his lurking presence and saw a signal only they knew. "Hey, kids. Let's clean up over here and, say, meet up at the Hokage's building. How's that sound?" She asked them warmly, giving them each pack of the cookies left.

Although sulking, Naruto agreed and followed Sakura and Sasuke. Now that she was alone Ai's expression changed and became solemn. Wiping any trace of joy that even the windows to her soul were blank.

"Come out."

Suddenly, the strangest of thoughts crossed her mind as the dark-cloaked figure approached. His presence seemed a dark, distributing mark across the bright, spring field. 'I wonder what Kakashi is doing right now. Is he alright?' It seemed like a hallucination how she heard his reassuring voice tell him he was fine.

I hear it in your voice

"Hi, Ai-senpai~" The crazed man's smile split his cheeks in half, from ear to ear. He giggled, pressing his hands over his face to stop the bubbling laughter. The manic eyes stared only at her face as he resisted the impulse to touch her skin. Her expression remained unchanged, having gotten used to the strange man that followed her like a tail ever since she returned. "Well, what is it?"

He fell into fits of crazed giggles again and finally blurted out, "I just want to help you, Senpai~" One of her eyebrows shot up as she probed him for more. "Help? What kind of help?"

"Kakashi's mission. Aren't you curious?"

            She saw his body shake and tremble under the hot sun and he stopped laughing for a moment only to begin giggling after. "I'm curious. Tell me." Her tone fell flat but it didn't seem to matter to him, she had responded that was enough to fuel his fantasies.

You're smoking with your boys

"Well, from what I heard it's something to do about that Rin Nohara. You know, when he killed her. Apparently, they caught a survivor."

"I thought that case was closed?" He cleared his throat and divulged, "It is, the strange thing is he surrendered. The survivor I mean." Then, he smiled at her. A normal one. Friendly. "Just thought you should know." It was planting seeds of doubt. His smile widened, his lips stretched until they cracked, and he thought; 'So, you can't really love someone who kills the people they love. Can you?'

I touch my phone as if it's your face

She nodded. Her expression was frosty as she told him off. "I don't need that kind of help. I've been doing this a long time-" She was interrupted as he burst out laughing, dry, bony hands reaching out to her but never touching. "Yes! Yes, how could I forget! You've been killing all those you've seduced? What's one more man?"

She frowned and with a wave of her hand, dismissed the unstable man. "That's enough. Leave, someone could see us and the children are waiting." And she watched the strange man vanish into thin air. After she'd made sure that he was gone a breath of relief left her lips. Her hand brushed her red hair back. Her hands were cold. As she walked to the Hokage building she couldn't help but think about Kakashi.

'So he's confronting old wounds. I pity him.'

I didn't choose this town

A few memories of her childhood began to surface.

"Dad! Daddy!" A young five-year-old Ai ran from the living room holding her father's leaf headband. "Daddy look what I found!" She had bright blue doe-like eyes. She had reached her father who was previously cutting wood. He laughed merrily and picked his daughter up, the light of his world, and lifted her high. Her warm, cherry laughter rang loudly across the small house they owned.