5

It took another five weeks before I had the courage to call my parents and tell them the news. I was afraid of disappointing them, but they encouraged me. 

"And you really don't want to move in with us? We could help you." my mother tried to persuade me once again.

"No, mom, I'm staying here, I just can't imagine leaving here," I defended myself.

"All right, but I'll stand by you for the last few weeks and stay here for the first few days after the birth." she promised before we hung up.

Week after week, my nausea lessened and my abdominal girth increased. Nothing had changed in my everyday life, I was still working and when I found out during an ultrasound scan that I was going to have a little boy, I started making and sewing him his own complete collection.

I lovingly transformed my parents' former room into a nursery. Four weeks before his birth, I had everything ready for him. My mother came as promised and helped out in the store, cleaned and cooked for me and didn't let me do anything that I couldn't do sitting down.

So time passed until the due date and we waited anxiously, but nothing happened...

"Have you actually got a name for the little one yet?" my mother asked me when we were already 6 days past the due date and were passing the waiting time by playing cards.

"Yes, but I won't tell you until he's here," I said, giving my stomach a challenging look.

"You could name him after your father." she said with a grin, knowing full well that I certainly wouldn't name my child Herbert.

"It will be a Korean name, as we live here and his father is Korean."

I immediately rejected her idea and got up to get a drink when I noticed that liquid was running down my legs.

"Oh no, mom... I knew it, at some point this baby would push so hard into my bladder that I'd pee in my pants..." I complained and my mother looked at me doubtfully.

"Your waters have broken, sweetheart," she said calmly and I looked puzzled.

"Shouldn't there be a sound? Like a pop or bang or splash?" I asked, overwhelmed, which made her laugh at me.

"We're not in a movie here. Get your bag, we're going to the hospital."

Seven agonizing hours later, I lay exhausted and sweaty in the delivery room, finally holding my son in my arms. I looked in love with his sweet little face and what was the first thing I did as a good mother? Right, I grumbled at him.

"You sweet little thing... who gave you permission to be so cute? Hmm? That's not how it works mister, you're grounded for at least 4 weeks. And why do you look like a bunny? Oh dear, you look just like your dad... I'm already having to save up to buy high fences for our house to keep all the girls away..." I said softly and lovingly, while I kept smelling his head, smooching him and holding his hands.

My mother looked at us with a smile and kissed both our cheeks. She waited patiently to be allowed to hold the little one, but I couldn't tear myself away from him for at least two hours. When I placed him in her arms, I introduced them to each other.

"Little bunny, this is your grandma... Grandma, this is Chiwon."

She beamed proudly at the bundle in her arms. She was probably just as enamored as I was.

After three days, we were allowed to go home and my mother stayed for a whole month until I felt confident enough to manage on my own.

A few tears still flowed as I drove her to the airport.