23

The entire month passed away in a wink. All this shopping for the wedding got me exhausted. Sometimes it felt like Brinda Bhabhi was more excited than me for my wedding.
Today is the 20th Jan, my last week in Jaisalmer as Miss Ishika Maheswari.
Also today I'll be handing over my duties at Bhai's office to the new employee, whom I have trained for the last month.

I was feeling so low it was like I was leaving a big part of myself behind to find a new piece. If leaving my loved ones behind is the cost, marriage sometimes feels to be an expensive barter.

It's afternoon, entire day all my colleagues congratulated me and said their goodbyes. I was in no mood to talk to Sidd so I messaged him that I was busy.
I know it's stupid but I somehow blamed Sidd for coming into my life and taking me away from the life that I created and lived for so many years.

"Ishki, Ishki. What are you doing here? Come let's go and have last canteen wala lunch together." Bhai came looking for me.

That was the last straw. I couldn't stop my tears after what Bhai said.

"Kya hua bachha? Why are you crying? Kisi me kuch kaha kya?" I didn't answer Bhai's question, I just jumped in his embrace and cried my heart out.

He didn't say anything else, neither did he let go of me. He just pulled me along with him to somewhere which I think will be his office.

He made me sit on the couch and made me drink some water. I stopped crying, it was just hiccups now.
Bhai kneeled in front of me and wiped all my tears away.

"Ishki you know na that something I hate most in this world is your tears. For me, it's way easier to bear all the pain and get tortured by some satan than seeing my Ishqi cry." Bhai said with unshed tears shining in his eyes.

"Bh-bhai I don't want to get ma-rried," I said in between my hiccups.

"kya hua? Siddharth ne kuch kaha ya kuch kara kya. Bata mujhe mi abhi usse dekhta hu." Bhai's eyes darkened in anger.

"Ni bhai kuch ni kaha but how dare he to even think about taking me away from you all. Mi aap sabke bina ni reh sakti bhai. This thought alone haunts me bhai.
Today while I was officially handing over my duties it felt like I was handing over my past life, all my hard work."

"Meri pagal si pyaari behen, listen to me carefully. One has to let go of their old responsibilities so that one can carry new ones. Like when you went to school, it hurt leaving, right? Par agar college jana hai, life mi aage badhna hai toh school chodhna was a necessary and unavoidable step, hai na.
And jab school choda tha to sirf school hi choda tha, the memories, your friends, lessons you learned there, all your hard work and experience, it is still with you and will be with you forever.
Similarly, meri jaan, leaving Jaisalmer doesn't mean leaving me or your family and life behind.
Khabardaar esa sochha bhi to."

"sorry bhai, Thank you for always being there for me."

"Ishki future mi bhi, remember this, mi ni kahu ga ki I'm just a call away because tu bas yaad karna and I'll be there."

"I love you bhai."

"Bachha, tu Jaan hai meri. Mera bas chalta to kabhi teri shaadi ni karta ya koi ghar jamai le aata tere liye. But your bhabhi made me realize that I can't be selfish and keep you all to me. Siddharth is a good boy, I have seen how he cares for you, respects you and even loves you. (Ishika turns red)
I can trust him with you.

Last thing Ishki, you are not leaving your family, you are just going to a new one. Accept them all wholeheartedly. Humesa bado ki respect karna par kabhi bhi kisi allow mat karna to mistreat you or to take you for granted.
Promise me."

"I promise you Bhai that whenever necessary I'll always take a stand for myself. Aapki jaan aapko kabhi disappoint ni karegi." I again hugged Bhai but this time I was smiling.

"Rona dhona ho gya ho to ab lunch karne chale. Bhook bhi lag ri hai aur ab tere chakar mi knees bhi dukhne lage."

"Maanlo Bhai you are getting old now," I said chuckling. He playfully twisted my ear.

"Aap khana order karo jaakar, mi mera face wash karke aati hu."

"Jo hukum madam."

"Takliya" (leave)

I laughed and ran to the washroom, washed my face and quickly sent a text to Sidd, telling him sorry and promising to video call at night.

It was fun having lunch with Bhai, he ordered all my favourites.

________________
Suggest the songs here for this chapter, please...

Don't forget to colour the star 🌟