Chapter 52

Anzide opened the door, waiting until I passed. He didn't say anything until we were in the car. Yet again, I was driving without a license. I was much better at it now. It didn't freak me out, and I drove with a lot of confidence.

"So, your thoughts?"

"It's odd. Harlwood's offering to do something that is common for demons. They're always throwing lures out. Modernizing though, eh," he shrugged. "It has its pros and cons. Come on, let's get going before Drakkus gets out of his seat."

I started the engine and turned to face Anzide.

"I have a question for you."

"Sounds dubious but go ahead."

"If I drive past Drakkus, will you give him a pressed ham for me?"

"I dread to ask, but what is a pressed ham?"

"Your bare backside pressed against the window."

Anzide smirked, shaking his head.

"No, you nuisance. Get the car moving in the right direction."

"Party pooper."

I drove through the streets, avoiding the cafe where Drakkus was sitting. How he knew that I'd be here was curious, but I suppose that it could be a coincidence. Harlwood did say that he was sick of the vampires in Drakkus's coven preying on the students.

There was one stop that we had to make before returning home. Niko suggested something more than the flimsy efforts Brad had put up to cover himself from the sun. A heavy gust of wind could expose him, and Niko warned that for Brad, it could cause problems. So, we were at the hardware store, searching for a tent or something similar.

There were no tents. It seemed as if the rain riddled town of Hades dampened the minds of the residents to the point where they never wanted to spend time outside. Anzide found a tarpaulin and metal poles. All we needed were a few pegs and some rope. We found the pegs, but our search for the rope stopped abruptly when we saw Eddios and an unknown man.

They were looking at the ropes. Eddios had a basket that had tape in it as well as other things beneath the rolls that I couldn't make out.

"Stay here," Anzide said softly.

He faded from sight as he moved towards the aisle. Seconds later, Eddios appeared. I couldn't hide, it was too late.

Anzide was a step behind him as Eddios walked closer. There was a lifeless, almost robotic state to the vampire.

"Hello, Evelyn," he said in a dull tone, staring ahead.

He kept walking. Curious, I followed and watched him walk out of the store. Anzide turned back, waggling the rope at me.

"I found rope."

"Cool. What was the deal with Eddios?"

"Oh, that. I entered his mind, which is something that technically, we're not supposed to do, but after seeing the contents of his basket, I deemed it worthy. Turns out, he was planning on abducting someone. Any thoughts on who the lucky person might have been?"

"Me."

"Yep. Planned on walking into the property when Brad was feeding because, in his mind, he believed that I'd go with him to make sure he was feeding correctly."

"And now?"

"Now he's seen what can happen if he tries anything that stupid. I can give extremely vivid visions to a weak mind, and Eddios was a perfect candidate."

"Do you think that this was an order from Drakkus?"

"No, this was an attempt to buy favor from his leader. Drakkus knows that if he is to legally rule, he has to win the battle. If he found out what Eddios was planning, he'd be angry. So, I don't know, either keep it to yourself or shout it at him as you drive past him at the cafe."