Chapter 35

I woke under the warm blankets, wrapped up in Anzide's arms. I'd fallen asleep even though I didn't feel tired. Maybe the day itself had taken its toll on me.

Demon headmaster attacked. Now ex-boyfriend realized the truth and how we could not be together. Nephilim protector makes a serious move.

His body was warm under the sheets. I snuggled in and savored the moment of peace and quiet.

I didn't know what to expect from my first time, but it was certainly enjoyable. My mother was open about sex. She told me more than she should have and probably not the right things. Still, I'd enjoyed it and was definitely eager for more.

"You sleep deeper when you are relaxed."

He sat up, leaning on one hand as he looked down at me.

"You also look different. Like there is no weight on your shoulders."

"Well, to be fair, my life is not exactly a walk in the park. Imagine losing your mother at fifteen after spending years with her either at work, passed out on the bed, or awake and cursing because you had the audacity to clean the house."

Or worse.

"Then you're tossed at your uncle that you think you've never met before, but it's a lie. In fact, your whole life is a lie. You're made to move because of his job, but that's just your uncle keeping the wishes of your dead mother. You're really some kind of hybrid creature, vampire, shapeshifter, human. A man appears, and pretends to be your father, but he really wants to hand you over to serve as his punishment. Biblical creatures, dangerous creatures. All the while, there's school to be finished. Oh, and don't forget the incorrect birthday which still has no valid reason as to why.

"And you're a biblical creature yourself."

"Ah yes, the missing father and his input into this mess. Do you know where he is?"

Anzide shook his head.

"Good. Don't bother to find out."

"You stated quite clearly that you were not interested. I am not going to waste time doing something that is not pleasing to you."

He lowered, settling against my body.

"I can, however, be pleasing to you in other ways."

"I like the sound of that."

"Evie," Brad bellowed from the bottom of the stairs. "Lunch."

"Or not," Anzide whispered.

We dressed quickly, emerging from my bedroom within a minute.

"Evelyn,"

Anzide stopped me at the top of the stairs.