Chapter 43

I knew that Niko was not there, but I still returned to the cave. I'm sure Marco has opened his big, fat mouth already and said the cave is empty. Hopefully, they'll think that it was someone else that took the body.

Pressing my hand to the stone, I closed my eyes and lowered my head.

"Come on Niko, guide me," I whispered.

Memories flashed through my mind, reminding me of that awful night. The vampires that laughed, taunting us. The woman that I'd seen on the other side of the road from the pawn shop, she flashed through first. Then the others filtered through like a macabre slide show.

"I know that you're probably really mad about the house, and I am so sorry Niko but I'm still learning. We're going to rebuild it. Brad's found a builder that will get the original house plans and build from that. It will be the same house but brand new."

My hand slid from the rock as I sat back. Dejected. Lost. Low.

"I know it won't be the house that you lived in with your wife and daughter, but I can't change the past. I'm sorry," I whispered. "I hope that in time you will forgive me."

Wiping the tears away, I put my hand on the cold ground to lift myself up. My mind was fuzzy, and the world started to sway. Anzide was a few steps away, leaning against a tree. He'd kept his distance while keeping an eye on me and the surroundings.

"Let it flow, Evelyn. The mustard is growing stronger. You must let it do what is necessary."

The mustard is growing stronger, my mind whispered.

Has the sugar dissolved yet?

The fuzziness in my mind became thicker. I was on my hands and knees, rasping every breath.

"I can't see."

"Focus, Evelyn. Your body is changing. The mustard is consuming."

"Sugar?"

"Almost gone."

Hearing footsteps, I hoped that it was Anzide and not a threat. I was useless at the moment, unable to see, struggling through my foggy mind. It felt like I was in a rowboat, out on a lake that was surrounded by a thick fog. All I could see were grey clouds and the boat that I was in. It rocked every time I moved. Would I plunge into the murky water if I moved too hard?

"Anzide?"

"I'm here," he said softly.

I felt his touch on my shoulder, and a light appeared in the gloomy sky.

"Go to the light, my love. I am there waiting for you."

There were no oars. I didn't want to put my hands in the water or actually get into it and swim.

"I can't. There's nothing to move the boat."

"Yes, there is. You are there. Use your mind and move the boat. Tell the boat that you want to go to the light."

I did as he suggested, but I did not move.

"Do not be delicate, Evelyn. You are a fighter, a warrior. This woman, she does not take anyone's nonsense. Not the boy, not his human girlfriend, not the vampire that would rob her of everything that she is entitled to. She is powerful and strong. This warrior will stand tall and fight for everything that is right, and she will make her loved ones proud."

"I failed him," I whispered.

"No, Evelyn. You didn't fail Niko. He is not here to tell you that for himself, but I know that he would understand that what happened was an accident. Forgiveness is easily given to those we love. Now, tell that boat to move. Order it. Do it and come to the light. I have something for you."