Chapter 48

I didn't stop, but I definitely looked back. Not just because I was worried that Brad would come after me but because I was worried that I'd knocked him out. I don't know if that happened. He was on the other side of the caravan. Maybe he was giving up on me and would find another source of blood. I could only hope.

The problem was, I couldn't go back until he was gone. I watched and waited, living in the hope that Anzide would return and find a way to calm Brad down. There was no movement. Brad had not emerged from either side of the caravan.

It was possible that he'd walked to the street and was now on his way to somewhere else. I felt sorry for the victims of vampires but, as always, grateful that it wasn't me. An odd thought occurred to me as I watched the caravan. Brad's speed was incomprehensible. The day that he took down that woman, he had her on the ground and was feeding from her within seconds. She didn't get the chance to scream.

Yet with me, he was somewhat slower. Was that hesitation? Did he know who I was when his mood altered like that? I hoped it was the case.

Feeling agitated, I walked a few steps to the side to see if I could see Brad. When I saw his shoes, I felt relieved and guilty all at once. Thankfully, he was sitting up, leaning against the caravan wall. At least he was okay and, of course, not stalking me. Was it safe enough to return? I highly doubt it.

Hearing a twig snap behind me, I gasped and turned around. I didn't want to say his name out loud, but I desperately wanted to know if it was Niko. Would he approach me if he saw me? I thought he would, but when no one came forward, I felt upset. He was angry at me. I'd destroyed his house and all those memories of his wife and daughter.

To make it worse, I couldn't feel the connection to him. It made me wonder if he'd severed it out of anger. That was fine. I deserved that. I didn't have any rights to this place or his legacy after what I'd done.

Birds squawked in the distance, taking off into the canopy. I gasped and turned to my left, where the sound had come from.

"Hello?" I said.

My voice was timid, even if I was trying to remain calm.

I couldn't feel my connection to Niko. I was stuck in the dangerous forest until Brad calmed down, and I was definitely not alone.

Was it better to face the hungry vampire or the unknown figure in the forest? It could be Drakkus or one of his followers.

Branches shifted to my right. Whoever it was, they were closing in, and they were surrounding me. I had to return to the property. At least I had Harlwood's protection. It wouldn't stop the ravenous vampire, but it would stop whoever was in the forest.

Turning, I thumped into something hard. In the darkness, I couldn't see who it was, but I knew that I was in serious trouble. They'd crept up behind me, and I hadn't heard a single thing.

I screamed, but the cool hand pressed to my mouth, muffling the sound. Coldness swept over me.

As the figure let go of me, I heard the gentle sounds of water lapping at the shoreline.

"Easy does it, Evie," Anzide said softly.

I gasped a soft cry, wrapping my arms around him. He'd dragged us into the portal.

"Why were you in the forest?"

"Brad was hungry and attacked me."

Anzide grumbled something. I leaned back and looked at him curiously.

"That explains why he saw me and took off. I guess he figured that I'd come looking for him once I found out."

"He needs help. Brad said that they all ran away screaming."