Chapter 31

A twig snapped in the distance, and we both turned in that direction. It was darkness, pure and unrelenting black that could hide so many issues. A shiver crept up my spine, fear filling my mind of what might be watching us. What was out there?

"Inside now," Anzide said softly.

Taking my hand, he pulled me across the lawn as I looked back at the forest. I saw the darkness consume the trees as if it was a fog.

"Anzide," I whimpered.

"You asked for protection. Well, you're getting it."

The door was opened, and Anzide looked at the vampires.

"Get inside, or you will die."

They practically pushed me out of the way to get into the house.

"Tell the others to get inside as well. Ensure all the windows and doors are locked. Perform your protection from within the house for tonight."

They nodded, setting to their tasks quickly. Brad was in the kitchen, quietly watching the situation unfold.

"What is going on, and who the hell are you?"

"Anzide in his true form."

Brad was quietly stunned.

"Those that govern the Nephilim's duties thought the façade of the teenager would be more approachable and engaging."

"Right," he drawled out. "But this is the real you?"

"It is."

"And what's got you two in a spin?"

I pointed through the glass. Brad stepped back to look out the kitchen window.

"All I see is a dark night. Lots of cloud cover, which is expected because it's going to rain in Hades. No surprises there."

"It's not cloud cover or the night. It is the demon."

"Yeah, I was going to ask you about that. I don't recall this ever being discussed. You said that it was your principal?"

I nodded, sitting down at the dining table. Brad and Anzide joined me.

"You can tell him."

Anzide nodded. I had to say, his attitude had improved. That was a bonus, in my opinion.

"Demons are notoriously solitary creatures. They are not supposed to reside in this land but many find it to be more accommodating that the place where all eternal creatures should reside. How they are in this land is vastly different to what they are usually. They feast upon the souls of the departed and will reside in towns like this one, which has a strong vampire population. From what we have observed of their time in this land, they create a symbiotic relationship that the vampires are often unaware of because they have no idea that the demon is living in the town. The demon keeps the townsfolk oblivious to the high death rate, and in return, it gets lots of lovely souls to feed on. To keep the population up, the demon will cast a lure out occasionally."