Chapter 41

The view of the two liars fornicating against my old locker faded from my sight. Soon the bright daylight consumed me, blinding me momentarily.

"You can be upset, angry, whatever you want, Evelyn."

We were leaning against the brick wall of the new wing.

The gardens were still pristine. It appeared as if no one had come into this area.

"I don't know what to feel, to be honest. It's a good thing that I know his true value now. I know that what he said this morning was utter rubbish. He doesn't care about me, and I don't think he ever has."

Well, I knew it. It was not a case of, I think, anymore. He'd said straight out that he didn't like me. There was a bonus to this little bit of nonsense though, I had an idea for the future and it was something that created a lot of amusement in my mind.

Lifting from the wall, I paced a few steps of the pathway while Anzide remained leaning against the wall, being a good listener.

"That though, that was something else. It sounds like it's been going on for a while. Everything makes perfect sense, though. Audrey gives me a hard time, and Kannon sticks up for me and becomes a solid friend. He pushes harder on it and forms a relationship. Niko warned me. He said not to trust anyone. I hate being this stupid."

"You are not stupid," Anzide grumbled.

"But I am, don't you see? I fell for it even though Niko warned me. Even Brad warned me. Jeez, even you said it. Repeatedly too. My hormones got in the way. They took over and controlled everything. Do you know what the worst part of all this is?"

Anzide warily shook his head.

"Kannon was pissed off that I am an Eternal and if we'd had sex, he would be a dead vampire walking. That means that he was prepared to go that far just to get Drakkus what he wants."

"I think you will find that he will benefit just as much as Drakkus will."

"That's hardly the point."

"Oh, I understand, Evelyn and I wholeheartedly agree that Kannon is a monster. Aren't you glad you can see him for his true worth now?"

I nodded. Anzide held out his hands, pulling me closer.

"I am glad that you were my first."

"Ditto," he murmured, leaning in for a kiss.

"You never misbehaved with other Nephilim?"

"It was repeatedly told Nephilim were chaste, we were celibate. We were not to engage in any physical activity. I have to say, though, I do think they're missing out."

I giggled, kissing Anzide. With our arms wrapped around each other, we had the moment of our love and affection. It made us stronger, and for me, it repaired the pain in my heart.

Stepping back, I was ready to leave this place, but Anzide held my hand tight.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

I shrugged, thinking about how I felt about this betrayal.

"I am angry. I am hurt. I feel lost. They're playing these horrible games, but they won't win. I've got an advantage up my sleeve now and I am going to roll with it. I am going to be the bigger person here. I'm not going to be some crying brat that complains that everyone is against her. I will take these photos, I will hand them over and I will keep the promise that I make to Harlwood. He will help me win this war, and when we're on the other side, I will continue to keep the worthy alliances because at this moment, he's the best option that I've got. I will reward him for that, and I will ensure that he knows that I appreciate what he's done for me. Unlike other people who in time will learn that they messed with the wrong person."