Chapter 37

Harlwood granted us time to consider the offer and to discuss it with Brad when he returned. He offered to return tomorrow at the same time, giving us a full twenty-four hours to consider our options.

While we waited, Anzide and I continued to clean the debris and set aside the possessions that were still in good order. Everything else was put in the pile that was destined to be trash.

Hearing the familiar sound of Brad's car, I strolled over to see the madness he was dragging behind it.

"He's bought a caravan. Is he crazy?"

"I'd say thinking outside the box is closer. The two of you have to sleep somewhere tonight."

We waited next to the driveway as Brad struggled to get the car up the hill.

"That thing is going to give out at any second."

"It certainly sounds like it is struggling."

Brad had a gleaming smile on his face as he passed us, continuing to the back of the property where there was plenty of space. There was also shade to cover it so that the caravan didn't get too hot during the day.

Getting out of the car, he gestured with a wide smile.

"Look, one problem solved."

"You're a legend, Bradley. How much did this cost you?"

"Nothing," he said with far too much enthusiasm. "I was in the hardware, and they were looking at me like I had lost the plot so I said that the house was demolished and we were starting the clean-up. I told them it was a gas explosion. I think they bought it so if anyone says anything, go with that, okay?"

"Sure."

"Anyway, sitting at the end of the counter was Henry Greene. Have you met him yet?"

I shook my head. I hadn't bothered to delve into this town or the people that live here. Too busy trying to avoid the paranormal creatures in this place. Brad unhitched the caravan, then pulled some bricks out and placed them behind the wheels.

"Nice guy. Said he had a caravan that he'd be happy to give to us, no money needed so long as when we're done with it, we pass on the same charity to the next person."

Brad stabilized the caravan with metal supports, giving the caravan gentle pushes as if he thought that would help. This was a case of the blind leading the blind.

We were useless. I'd never even been inside a caravan.

"I figured that was easily done, so here we are. I know it's not enough to stop the vampires or the demon, but it's a start."

"About that," I murmured.

Opening the door to the caravan, I was hit with a musty wave of air that made me cough.

"We need to discuss it, but damn, maybe air the place out first."

"It was sitting in his shed for a while. I brought cleaning stuff as well."

"Great, more things to do."

I leaned against the kitchen counter. Brad sat at the narrow dining table.

"Harlwood turned up."

Brad glanced at Anzide, who was leaning against the door frame, watching the outside world.

"There's another demon in this town, and apparently, he wants it gone. Drakkus is feeding the demon, so he is missing out on all the souls that die because of the vampires."

"That must make him pretty hungry."

"And desperate," Anzide murmured. "Which is not a good thing, if you're wondering."