Chapter 46

Brad was standing under the shade of the caravan awning as he talked to Hannah. Whatever Anzide had said to him in the caravan had him spooked but not enough to send her away. In fact, it looked like the complete opposite, which was not amusing to the huffing dragon beside me.

"I think that we can agree that any attempt at entering the portal at the moment would be foolish, so how about we just stop?"

"Fine," he grumped.

"What did you say to Brad?"

"That there's something different about her."

"Vampire?"

Anzide shook his head, then stretched out to lean against the tree trunk.

"No, something else. I can detect the fact that she is not mortal, but there's something blocking me from entering."

"Hmm, like Drakkus's house."

He sat up and looked at me with a stunned expression.

"The demon," he whispered.

We both turned our heads and looked at Brad and his would-be love interest. She was all smiles and giggles, affectionately slapping the air near him.

"Good lord," I muttered. "I don't act like that, do I?"

"Oh yeah, it's a real disgrace."

Anzide was grinning by the time I looked at him. He shrugged with his devious smile shining, then returned to the view.

"It appears that you are like your uncle. You don't listen to me."

He was looking at Brad. The smile was gone, and in its place was a deep frown that showed how unimpressed Anzide was.

"I told him to avoid interacting with her at all costs and definitely not invest time that will lead to anything progressing. That looks as if he has not paid any attention to me."

"Did he understand what you were saying? Because you do tend to talk in riddles."

"Nonsense."

"You are indirect and often confusing. Did you tell him that you detected something abnormal, or did you just say, I've got a bad feeling about this woman?"

The silence said it all. Rather than dwelling on it, I returned to watch my uncle fall victim to a demon. Well, romantically fall victim.

With another smile that seemed as if she was almost gushing at him, Hannah turned and walked out from under the awning. She looked at us and waved. It was like she had no idea what we were. We both returned the wave and watched as she turned to walk down the driveway. Brad remained under the shaded cover, also watching the bewitching blonde.

"Are you sure she's the other demon?"

"No, but I can assure you she's not a vampire."

"Shapeshifter?"

"That is possible. If she is aware of her nature, she will not willingly offer her species. Neither will a witch and yes, that's another possibility."

"What's more likely?"

"Witch."

Brad looked at us, then flicked his head, urging us into the caravan with him. We stood, crossed the lawn, and entered the caravan. Before I closed the door, I looked down the driveway and saw Hannah getting into her car.

All seemingly normal.

"What's wrong with her?"

"She's not mortal. The exact details are blocked, and that is a worrying detail."