Chapter 47

Anzide frowned at me. I stopped pacing the floor and huffed.

"I can't just wait for it to happen."

"Of course, you can. Harlwood will not want you anywhere near him when he takes down the first vampire."

"I just want to go and look."

"No. Harlwood gave strict instructions for your nocturnal habits. You remain on the property at all times."

"He's right," Brad mumbled. "Vampires feed at night, Drakkus and his followers will be the most active, and they will be searching for you. Don't make that search easy."

Anzide pointed to the seat next to him with a frown still showing. Reluctantly, I sat down.

"There is much to gain for him. Harlwood will ensure that he lives up to his side of the deal,"

"Agreement," I interrupted.

"Yeah, whatever you want to tell yourself."

I looked at Anzide. He shrugged as if he almost agreed with Brad.

"What's the difference? You agreed on it, and you made a deal. It's the same thing, Evie. So long as we keep our side of the deal, there is no issue. I won't see Hannah. I'll totally ghost her."

"Which will be so easy to do in a small town."

Brad frowned at me. Right now, he looked normal. Fed, lucid, and a soft pink color.

"You know what you should do? Wait until I speak to Harlwood. I'll get him to confirm if it's her or not."

"So, she can still come here?"

"No," Anzide said firmly. "If she is the demon, then her presence will linger, and Harlwood will detect it and think that we've gone against the agreement. Keep her away from this property no matter what."

Sighing heavily, Brad turned the quote from Henry to me.

"I can do this, but it will be tight. We will have to live off your inheritance after I pay for this because it will almost wipe out everything I have."

"You don't have to," I murmured. "I'd rather you take it from my money."

"Look, you're not seeing this correctly. I know that you want to pay for it because you think it was your fault,"

"It was my fault." I interrupted.

"Not entirely. You were unaware of your ability, that can be blamed on your father. Renuge was taking Anzide away, and Drakkus turned up. Those things putting pressure on you were too much, and it's only to be expected that it would erupt as it did. See? Loverboy agrees with me."

Anzide was frowning at Brad.

"I do agree. If you want me to continue supporting your statements it would be wise to use my given name rather than the taunt that you offer."

"Sure, sure," Brad said as he rolled his eyes. "The point that I'm trying to make is that while you were the one that demolished the house, the entire blame cannot be pinned on you. As for the money, I'm assuming that as the vampire leader, you'll need to be financially fluid. My money is yours, just like yours is mine because we're in this nightmare together, but I think that at some point in the future, there's a line that needs to be drawn into the sand. It will show you as a great leader that is separate from everyone else, including me. You can't be this independent and strong leader if you're getting an allowance from your uncle, can you?"

Feeling rather low, I didn't know what to say. What he said made perfect sense. Drakkus would be loaded, I'm sure of it. We're only assuming, but it was likely that I had to have a bit stowed away as well.