Chapter 44

Whispering woke me. I opened my eyes and listened to Brad and Anzide talking as quietly as they could manage.

When my eyes began to focus, I understood why. Brad was severely sunburned.

"So, I take it that the inner vampire is winning the battle?"

"It appears to be the case," Anzide said.

He held out his hand, helping me off the top bunk.

It was cold this morning, odd considering that it was insanely hot yesterday but not that surprising considering that this bizarre little town was never consistent with its weather. Pulling on a jumper, I sat at the table and looked at the pink man that was groaning into his coffee.

"What's the plan for this nonsense?"

Anzide sat down beside me, and Brad looked up. It was then that I saw that his face was puffed, looking as if he was having an allergic reaction.

"Jeez, stop drinking the coffee. Clearly you're progressing to a blood diet."

"I don't want to," he complained.

The cup was full, looking as if Brad had taken one sip. He could barely see out his eyes, just narrow slits in the puffed-up mess.

"He needs blood."

"That's true, but we have a few problems with that. No fangs, no teacher to guide him, daylight, and I would suggest that going out looking like that would not be ideal."

Brad's fingers pushed the mug over the narrow table. It sounded like he was whimpering at the loss.

"You know, when Niko first escaped the wall, he couldn't get up from the ground. He fed on me, and it was enough to get him up and walking. Not completely everything, but I was able to get him to the victim."

"Evie," Brad groaned.

"Look, I know what I know from experience. You don't have fangs, but I can cut a wound and let you drink it. A little bit of blood might be enough to make the swelling go down. Then we can reassess what you need."

"She's right,"

Brad shook his head. Anzide looked at me, I gave him a nod, and he retrieved the utility knife that was in the top drawer.

Taking my arm, Anzide nicked the skin. Brad groaned again, shifting in his seat. It was like he wanted to move but couldn't.

Holding out my arm, I hoped that it would be what he needed.

"You needn't fear hurting Evelyn. She is an Eternal. You cannot kill her or cause injury. This is what you need and it is the best option at the moment. Take what is offered and do what is necessary."

"Fangs,"

The mumbled word was barely coherent. His lips puffed, and he could barely move.

"Suck the skin. You don't have time for this. It is getting worse. Feed to heal yourself before it becomes uncontrollable."

Brad hesitated. Anzide's anger grew a little as he rose from his seat. Shifting next to Brad, he reached out and took my arm, dragging me closer.

"Feed, I will ensure that she is safe. You have my word."

He nodded, then took my arm. I was now sitting on the table, leaning in an awkward position that was incredibly uncomfortable. Brad had better be grateful.

His lips pressed to the skin, opening to let the blood weep into his mouth. The grip tightened as Brad began to draw the blood out. I looked at Anzide, tilting my head with a frown. Anzide turned to watch closely.