Chapter 32

When Brad said that dinner was almost done, I assumed that it was something more than a sandwich. To be fair, it was full of salad and deli meat, but it was not like what he usually prepared.

"Thanks."

"No problem. Sleep well?"

I nodded, not wanting to look up. Anzide was leaning against the wall, looking out the window to the forest. I also didn't want to look up because Kannon was sitting at the table opposite me and clearly unimpressed.

Jess sat beside Kannon, grinning wildly as she held up a book.

"Look what I found last night."

It was a teal-colored book that had nothing written on the cover. Just plain suede.

"It's, uh, pretty."

Jess scoffed, offering a slight frown.

"It's not pretty. It's stunningly beautiful. Touch it. Feel how soft it is."

The book was placed on the table in front of me.

"Do not touch it," Anzide muttered.

Brad turned to look at him. Kannon frowned.

"What's wrong? Is someone at the door?"

Jess's smile had lessened as she looked around the table.

"What are you talking about?"

"Nothing. You know what, guys? I think we should chill on the lessons for a couple of days. Evie's had a rough time today. I think we should call an end to the day."

"Yeah," Jess said hesitantly. "You're probably right. A run-in with a demon is not fun by any means."

She began packing the books back into her bag, then flicked her head at Kannon.

"Come on, bud, I need a lift home."

"Sure. Text you later, Evie."

I nodded, slowly chewing the food in my mouth. He smiled, but I could see that there was a lot of uncertainty.

Brad walked with them to the door. I watched and wondered why Brad was essentially kicking them out.

"Eat your dinner, Evelyn," Anzide said softly. "Everything is fine. You're just tired."

Well, someone has definitely learned how to tell a lie.

Brad sighed heavily and loud enough that I could hear him easily on this side of the large open space.