Chapter 38

When I was done, I sat back, feeling full and happy. My gaze lingered out to the forest. The fog had settled in for the night.

"Do you think he's warm enough?"

"Knowing Niko, he will find a house to invade, feed on the owner and rest well for the daylight hours. You worry needlessly."

"I care," I muttered curtly.

Brad sighed heavily, giving me the evil glare.

"And I don't? That's low, Evie. If he wanted to be warm, he would have returned to the house. There is a reason that he stayed out there, and you damned well know it. Don't get all snarky about it."

"What if we're wrong?" I whispered. "What if he was sleeping in the attic?"

He was in the middle of wiping the side of the bowl with bread. Brad stopped and looked out the window.

"I haven't heard the mouse in a long time, Evie."

"I'll go," Anzide said as he got up from the table. "Don't unlock the door. I don't need you to open it for me, so don't be fooled."

"You said that there were protections over the property."

"That doesn't mean the demon won't come here anyway. Stay put."

Anzide faded out of the caravan, leaving me alone with Brad. It felt like it had been a really long time since it had just been the two of us. No vampires or Nephilim. No judgmental eyes from the world around us. Brad was always given the stink eye from people who thought he was a pervert chasing a young girl. He'd even had the cops called on him.

Brad was mortified and, since that horrid day, carried the paperwork everywhere with him. It was sad that he had to prove that he was related to me. We looked like each other. Seriously, we were so clearly related. I don't know how anyone thought he'd do something like that.

"Tomorrow, I'll organize a builder to come out and quote."

"You are going to have a heart attack. Should I pre-warn the hospital now or wait until it happens?"

"You're so funny, Evelyn. What I was aiming for was someone that was possibly on the verge of retirement. I can do the work under his instruction."

I laughed.

"Oh my god, Bradley. When did you lose the plot?"

"At least I'm trying."

I stopped, murmuring my apology.

"Well, smarty-pants, you and lover boy can help. Don't think you're sitting around all day doing nothing."

"I thought that I had schoolwork."

"Late afternoon and night will be more than sufficient. The sooner that house is rebuilt, the happier I will be."

"I've been thinking about what Harlwood offered."

"Me too."

We looked at each other. Brad's eyes darted across the table as he took a deep breath in.

"I don't know, but it seems like a reasonable trade. We can deal with Drakkus and the unwanted vampires, return our family to rule, and we know exactly where the demon is. I didn't know there was another demon in this town, did you?"

I shook my head.

"What about you? What do you think about his offer?"

Before I could answer Brad, Anzide's figure slowly started to form next to the table. His face was grim.