Chapter 2

Brad gave me an uneasy smile as we walked through the corridor. It was the same as every other school that I'd been to. Bland white walls lined with dull green lockers. Doors and notice boards broke up the monotonous path with the occasional water fountain.

The stench of this place was all too familiar to me. I disliked school. If he'd asked me what I wanted, rather than telling me what the right thing to do was, I would have gladly told Brad that I was happiest out of places like these. I'd rather get a job and start earning money. 

He knew that I didn't want to be here. I'd complained enough. We discussed it, argued, and reached a rational agreement that leaned toward his demands rather than mine. I had to accept it and move on.

Still, I protested all that I could.

Brad's argument was simple. No certificate of completion, no job. Apparently, it was necessary in this crazy world. So, I had no choice, and I had to get this done. My only consolation was that his employer had given him a written guarantee that he would not ask Brad to move to a new location within this school year.

That was one of my biggest issues. I was repeating the year. Things that I already knew, I had to sit through again. Brad said that I might learn something new, but I doubted it.

Brad had given his employer a hard time about moving, stating that I was almost there and then he would not need to be tied to one town anymore. Once I was out of school, we could go anywhere, anytime. So, his boss agreed to let us remain in this town until the year was done. All I had to do was pass.

Pushing the door open, Brad waited as I walked into the administration office. The woman behind the counter looked at us with a smile and a friendly greeting. It was the same old situation, just a different location and different people.

"This is Evelyn Newton. I'm her uncle Brad. We've got an enrolment meeting at one pm."

"Of course," the woman said with a chirpy eagerness that was sickening. "Have you got the transfer and enrollment documents?"

Brad fumbled through his folder, searching for the papers he'd completed last night. After three years of doing this, I would have thought he'd be used to the mountain of paperwork that came with being a guardian for a child. Yet here he was, pulling out random pieces of paper.

The woman smiled, glancing at me like I'd be able to help him. With a huff, I pulled the folder out of his hands and put it on the counter. The request for the file transfer was on top. She accepted it and turned to the fax machine.

"Who uses a fax machine?" I whispered. "Wouldn't it be easier to scan and email?"

Brad shrugged.

"Looks done to me. You're too technical."

I scoffed at him.

That was a ridiculous statement.

I was not technical at all. I didn't even have a mobile phone.

When the woman returned, I held out the enrolment form and the payment details form. Yes, this was a private school and the only one in this dumb town. That was another complaint that Brad had for his employer. All the towns we have been to have had a variety of choices. I was always enrolled in a government-owned school, which meant that it was free.

Brad was yet to hear back about that one. I think he secretly hoped for a little financial assistance from his employer. It was a long shot but one that I thought was worth it. After all, he was given money to move our things around this country. Why shouldn't he be compensated for something beyond his control?

The woman took the paperwork and disappeared through a door after telling us she would advise the new enrolment officer that we were there. Brad and I were left to twiddle our thumbs like a pair of clueless fools.