Chapter 39

Brad was waiting with a hug, saying nothing but just holding me until I was ready to let go. It took about a minute before I pulled away, wiped the tears, and gave him a sad smile.

"Love hurts, regardless of what the relationship was like."

"I think it hurts more that you were right."

"Yeah, maybe the world's about to end or something."

We entered the caravan. I sat at the table while Brad started making breakfast. Outside, I could see Kannon walking away, Anzide watching from his hidden spot in the forest.

"Do you think that was another attempt to make us leave?"

"I don't know,"

I felt defeated, and the day had barely started. It wasn't even seven in the morning, and I'd had a fight with my ex-boyfriend, now stressing over my life here.

Brad put the tray on the table and started pulling the crockery out. I was loading things, trying to keep myself occupied rather than thinking about Kannon. It was not working, not when I could see Anzide walking toward the fence line, watching Kannon.

"I got the feeling that it was the underlying intention for coming here,"

"But you think he wanted to apologize as well?"

I nodded.

"Then why didn't you let him?"

Brad turned when he got no response. I was frowning heavily at him.

"Humor me and answer the question."

"Because he lied to me about Andross's body. He used it against me and sold me out to Drakkus like I needed to have him angrier at me."

"And you're sure it was him and not Eddios?"

It felt like my heart fell into my stomach.

"Brad," I groaned.

He shrugged and sat at the table in front of me.

"He calls his father and tells him the details. Daddy says, sure son. Son thinks it's done until trouble hits, and daddy says that we're doing the unthinkable and we're making sure that as a group, we survive. What is one life against how many they have in their group? Eddios might have had a heart and said we'll give you this information if you agree to let Evelyn and Brad leave the town unharmed. We'll join the clan. We'll behave ourselves, but we have our requirements. As a show of good faith, they hand their son over to be the second in charge to the leader. Maybe that was all they offered. Maybe the rest of it was the sweetener."

"I hate it when you do this," I muttered, getting up from the table.

Rushing through the door, I made my way to the fence where Anzide was still watching Kannon.

"What's wrong?"

"I need a little fact-checking to be done."

"You want the boy to return?"

"If you don't mind."

Anzide disappeared and reappeared in front of Kannon, who stumbled back when Anzide towered over him. Something was said. Kannon turned to look at me, then back to Anzide. All the while, I waited, wringing my fingers with the hope that I'd made this out to be more than it was. Brad might be right. He had a knack for this kind of stuff.

Kannon turned and began to walk back, looking unimpressed. Anzide was no better, walking behind him like a mountain of doom that was ready to explode.

"What now?" Kannon grumped.