Chapter 36

I'd like to say that I was stunned by that, but it was hard to be anything when I was feeling rather emotionless.

After Drakkus enjoyed his moment in the limelight, pointing out that my ex-boyfriend had sold me out and then apparently flipped teams, he gave me an ultimatum. I was the outsider here. I was the one that was on her own. No vampires in this town wanted to associate with me or any Corbin, so, therefore, the rule of the Corbin family was dead. I was to leave town immediately because there was no point in trying to salvage anything when the house was nothing but a pile of rubble.

I watched as they walked down the street, slowly fanning out and dispersing into the shadows. Like he knew that I was watching, Drakkus made a show of his affection for Kannon.

"Well, that was rather unexpected. Did you know he was bi?"

I looked at Brad, who was standing next to me, watching the figures as they walked down the road.

"No, and I don't care. I'm done with this place. Let's salvage what we can and get the hell out of,"

I rolled my eyes. "Hell."

Brad huffed, then turned to look at the non-existent house.

"You really need to learn how to control your powers."

"I'll say," Anzide grumbled. "I have a lump on the back of my head."

"Shut up, the both of you. What would Niko say if he could see this?"

"Pick up a hammer?"

"Flame thrower," Brad offered.

The two of them laughed. Ignoring them, I returned to the house. The burn marks dragged across the floor, sweeping around the table that was untouched. Nothing burned, nothing askew. I sat down and finished lunch.

"Seriously?" Brad asked as he approached.

"I'm hungry, and we might as well eat. At least then we can decide what's going to happen."

Brad was more interested in finishing his sandwich than the conversation. I'm sure he was itching to find out if his secret stash of doughnuts had survived. I will not be popular if they're burned.

"Okay," Brad sighed heavily. "I'm just going to assume that I know what that was all about and ignore it because I do not want to know."

"Did you need another education?"

"No," he snapped.

"I told you. I know more than necessary about the birds and the bees, thanks to my mother. She was very informative."

"Evie, stop. I said that I do not want to know. Let's just leave it at that and move on to the more obvious issue, where are we going to live?"