Chapter 50

Niko stepped out of the tiny bathroom in a pair of Brad's long pants. As he pulled down the shirt, I saw the stab marks. They were purple and puckered, looking as if they still hurt. Niko gave me a smile.

"A warrior accepts all wounds as a badge of honor."

"Yeah, but they are pretty gruesome."

Niko merely smiled as he sat at the table in front of me. Brad and Anzide were outside, sorting through the rubble and continuing to clear away the mess.

"All of the vampires that inflicted those wounds are dead."

"Yes, I heard whispers about Andross. I would have loved to have seen that happen."

"He was the one that killed our family."

Niko sighed as he looked at the photo of Beatrice and Victoria.

"If I'd known that their fate would have been no different, I would not have sent them away."

"But in doing so, you started a path that led to my mother, Brad, and me."

"Everything in this world happens for a reason," he offered. "Even death is sometimes necessary, unfortunately."

Tucking the photo back into the pile of things that had been salvaged, Niko clasped his hands and looked at me. Since his return, which has been a grand total of ten minutes, he's been subdued but in a good mood. He was still happy, but there was something else.

"Are you alright?"

"I am, thank you. It was an interesting feeling to be dragged through the forest by an unknown source while the sensations of repairs wriggled through my body. I am fully repaired, and interestingly, the demon ensured that I did not need to go out and feed tonight. I suspect that he believes that Drakkus will be on the warpath once he realizes what has happened. That was a mighty fine agreement that you made, Evelyn. Be proud of your partnership with James. He has a good heart, despite his nature."

"Thanks. I was a little nervous, but he was completely honest, and Anzide was there as well, so I guess that helped."

"Ah, yes. The Nephilim. That was an interesting turn of events."

Niko had a wicked smile on his face.

"Yeah. Who would have thought that would happen, right?"

"Anyone with eyes in their head and, perhaps, a little knowledge about biblical creatures. They are designed to love all creatures, which is strange considering how harshly they are treated when they act on those feelings."

I said nothing but could feel the heat rising in my cheeks. He was my great-grandfather, and the subject was thoroughly embarrassing.

Niko leaned his head on one hand, assessing me and my flaming cheeks.

"You're an Eternal, Evelyn. There are not many choices for you in this world."

"I know. If it weren't for Andross getting in first, mom would have died because of one."

"Evelyn, I know that the subject of your father is a touchy one, but the powers that rule over your life will insist that you meet with him. He should be the one that trains you. I'm surprised that they're letting Anzide do it, to be honest."

"Yeah, the woman in the portal said that I should know him. He knew what he was doing when he had sex with my mother. He knew that she would die. How can I forgive him for that?"

"I don't see how you could."

Feeling low, I looked out the door and saw Brad as he walked to the pile of wood. He was pushing a cart full of external panels.