Chapter 30

The three tall Nephilim stood facing us. The one in the center stared at me.

"Begin the proceedings," he said in a terse tone.

To his left, the Nephilim unfurled a scroll.

"Charges laid against Mardyl Charolais, Patricia Newton, and Evelyn Newton."

I frowned.

"Hold up,"

The Nephilim stopped, and all three of them looked at me.

"Who is Patricia Newton?"

"Your mother."

"Uh, no. My mother's name was Nancy."

"It does not matter. You are a half-breed. Your mother is inconsequential."

"I beg your pardon!" I snapped. "My mother does matter, and she is definitely not inconsequential. How dare you speak about her like that. Who is Patricia Newton?"

The three of them offered nothing, and I turned to Anzide, the only one that I could trust would give me a straight and honest answer.

"Do you know who she is?"

"No."

"My mother's name was Nancy. Ask Brad."

He turned his head to the house, flicking his fingers at the window. Seconds later, Brad emerged.

"State your sister's full name, please."

"Nancy Clare Newton."

"Perhaps it was a false name. We know that the Corbin line liked to hide themselves."

Brad shook his head.

"I've got all her papers. She never took a false name. Even Evelyn's birth certificate is registered as her legal name. I have no idea who Patricia is."

Turning to my father, I raised my eyebrows with the hope that he'd be honest. It was a long shot.

"So?"

"Her name was Patricia."

"Hang on a sec,"

Brad scampered back into the house, returning with the envelope that I'd not been able to look at. Pulling out the photos, Brad was shaking his head.

"This is not my sister. You've got the wrong person."

He tossed the envelope at Mardyl's feet, and the pictures of an unknown woman spilled out over the grass.

"You said that you could tell that she was your daughter," Brad snapped loudly. "How did you know so much about Nancy and Evie?"

Mardyl looked at Brad, then let out a reluctant sigh.

"Patricia and Nancy used to share a house before Evelyn was born. Patricia took on her surname as an alias for when the cops were looking for her. I knew both of them, though I only had relations with Patricia. They were both pregnant at the same time. I never saw Nancy after that time. Patricia and the child died during labor. When that lot came looking for answers, I said that either woman was possible."

The Nephilim in the center frowned at Mardyl. A soft growl of anger escaped from Brad.

"You said that you had a cognitive connection," Brad said in a rather loud outburst.

Anzide huffed with amusement.

Brad glowered at him.

"Not real?"

"I have not heard of such a thing, though, to be fair, I rarely delve into the land of fantasy."

As Brad lunged at Mardyl, Anzide pulled my hand back. The Nephilim watched as my uncle took his anger out on the man that was not really my father.