Chapter 33

Yesterday was thoroughly dull.

I did all my homework, tidied my room, and organized everything. I even did some cleaning. That's why Brad agreed to let me go to school today.

I drove with Brad rather than Kannon. We discussed how I would deal with being at school, the demon principal, and the vampire with questionable motives. Brad recommended that all interactions with Kannon should be pulled back and kept limited. It was easy to say, but in real life, it was going to be incredibly difficult.

Anzide shadowed my every step, unseen by the world around me. No one paid attention to me, oblivious to the point where it felt like I was invisible. Even Audrey didn't turn to make some snide comment or offer a supreme smile.

Turning to my locker, I pressed my head against the cold metal and sighed.

"Why can't they see me?"

"That would be your demon stalker. He's following, focusing, and formulating. They are unaware because he doesn't want them to see what's going to happen. Do not put your books in the locker."

"What about the rest of my stuff in there?"

"It is not important."

Taking a deep breath in, I slowly exhaled and tried to focus. It was not easy.

"I guess this is it, right? I tried, and I failed. Homeschooling for me."

"Sometimes it's for the best. We make our attempts with the hope that they will work, but, in this case, it's not meant to be."

Cool fingers slid over my hand, slowly curving into the palm. Our fingers entwined, I looked at Anzide with a lot of fear floating through me.

"Be brave, Evelyn. He cannot harm you."

The lights overhead flickered, slowly coming to life as the demon emerged from the darkness. It was the first time that I'd ever seen beyond this row of lockers. The corridor was longer than I expected it to be, filled with more lockers and doors to classrooms that were never used. It was like they were expecting a surge in numbers, but it never happened. Maybe the demon had cast the lures out to families and was waiting for them to arrive.

"Good morning, Evelyn," Harlwood said in an amused tone. "How are you today?"

"Okay, I guess," I murmured.

Anzide squeezed my hand.

"Actually, I don't feel well. I'm going home."

The demon said nothing, just quietly watching me as I backed out of the corridor. It was lucky that I had the first locker. Otherwise, it would have looked obvious.

"Of course," Harlwood said, taking a few steps forward.

His eyes were pinned to me, the defiant smirk firmly in place.

"But you should stop at the office first, have Jane call your uncle."

My hand was being pulled back, Anzide tugging it as discreetly as he could.

"It's fine. He won't care."

Harlwood continued to follow me. I wanted to turn around and run, but I was worried about what he would do once my back was turned.

"That may be so, but we have a duty of care to all students. If you don't want him to pick you up, then you must allow the school to notify him that you will be leaving the grounds."

The bell rang, and I nearly jumped out of my skin. All the students and teachers that were in the corridor and completely oblivious to us turned and walked away. Robotic, lifeless.