He began walking along the rear of the caravan, pretending to inspect it while still remaining close to me. It was enough, and Kannon watched for a few seconds before looking at me with hope. I wasn't fooled but pretended to be the same old Evie who didn't know that she stood in front of a liar.

"I want to be friends again. I'm sorry that I got angry about the whole phoenix thing. It's just that Drakkus said that you should have known and were intentionally trying to hurt me. All of his core group started on me, saying that you were trying to kill me. It was Jess that pointed out that you clearly had no idea."

So, he has a core group and still demands that the eighteen year old becomes his second in charge? That did not make any sense. I think that I needed to pay a visit to the local demon headmaster. Clearly something has happened, and it made me wonder if he'd removed Hannah, the other demon.

"Well, I'm glad that Jess was using her brains. I'm pretty sure that you could have easily figured out how clueless Brad and I were, considering how much information you offered."

Kannon clearly had a mission here. He said that he wanted to be friends again, which I guess he figured entitled him to gain access to the property. With the two newest additions to the contents of the caravan, it wasn't happening. I had to keep Kannon on a leash but not close enough that he thinks it was alright to climb over the fence.

A thought entered my mind, and it fitted with my other idea to go and see Harlwood.

"I was thinking about returning to school."

I could see Anzide turn his head and look at me. I wasn't looking at him directly, but I figured he was frowning at me too.

"But it just seems so hard, you know?"

Kannon nodded, giving me a soft smile. Yeah, I caught you on my web, little boy.

"I can deal with Audrey easily enough, but if Drakkus is causing problems, then Brad's not going to let me go anywhere near the place. What do you reckon my chances are? Can I get a year from him?"

"I, uh, I don't know."

"Well, look at it this way. I can leave today, but I'd have to start at another school, and I don't think that's fair. He started this nonsense. I was minding my own business."

"Yeah. I'll say something if you like."

"I'd appreciate that."

He began to turn away, stopping before he got too far.

"I'm sorry about Niko too. That was wrong what they did to him."

"Actually," Anzide offered as he moved in behind me. "I think you will find that it was illegal. Your leader had the audacity to accuse Evelyn of murdering a vampire, yet he does the same thing. He was a murderer long before Evelyn was even born."

"Yeah, I know."

Anzide stepped forward, giving Kannon a dark smile.

"There is something that you should know about us biblical creatures. We are permitted to take a life if it is necessary to sustain the lives of others around us. No repercussions, so his accusations against Evelyn are completely false. She could have taken Drakkus out without a single problem from the Nephilim just like how nothing happened after Andross's death. You could have had it all but you picked the wrong team. So, run away, little boy. Run back to your master and tell him what you've seen like the good little lap dog that you are."

When he turned, Anzide winked at me. The grin was merciless, but I knew that he'd said it all on purpose. It was not an angry outburst. Every little part of it was intentional.