Chapter 39

"Where is he?" I questioned as I shut the car door behind me.

"He said he'd be better off if he came alone and later," Connor answered as Emily ran into his arms and held him tightly.

I simply stared at them emotionless; he's going to be here.

"Connor, when is he getting here?" Emily asked for me.

"Around ten, and it's barely seven," he paused and looked over at me, "Would you like to get something to eat and then come back?"

"No, I packed some stuff," I said nodding to the car.

"Ok, thanks." He gave me two thumbs up and started towards the car.

"Wait, Connor," I said as a small smile formed on my face.

He looked back and I immediately threw my arms around him.

"Thank you so much," I whispered into his ear as I held him tightly.

"Anything for you two." He responded, "But please let me go, you have no idea how hungry I am." I chuckled softly as I let him go and then looked back at Emily who was smiling at me.

"Finally," She spoke calmly.

I replied by throwing my arms up, "I know right!" I exclaimed as Emily laughed.

"This is the happiest I've seen you in so long, it makes me so happy." She smiled as she reached for my hand and pulled me into a hug.

I looked back at Connor whilst in Emily's arms. He simply looked over at us and smiled brightly as he ate an apple that I had thrown into the bag.

Penelope was in her little kids seat sleeping, completely unaware of what had just happened.

8:32

"Connor," I called out as I pushed myself off the cars trunk.

"Yeah," He called back happily as he looked up from Emily's face.

"Why did Teo even get in this mess, and how hurt was he when you found him?" I questioned as I pushed my hair back out of my face.

"I think he'd like to be the one explaining that to you," He responded, his smile never leaving his face.

I nodded back swinging my arms back and forward slowly.

"Um Tina, did you pack any food for Pen?" Emily asked suddenly as she turned around still in Connors' arms.

"I didn't see any baby food when I got my apple." Connor put in.

"Let me check the bag." I walked over to the car and opened the back door, and reached into the bag, no baby food. Great.

I looked out and smiled forcefully.

"No?" Emily asked.

"Nope," I answered popping the P.

"Well, at least, she's asleep, Connor said as he looked back into Emily's eyes.

"Guys, I feel like a third wheel." I whined.

"You are a third wheel." Emily called back.

9:02

Suddenly there was a sudden screeching coming from inside the car.

Penelope was awake, and she was hungry.

"Damn it." I muttered.

"Feed her an apple." Connor spoke calmly as I quickly opened the door back up and reached in to hold Penelope. Emily slapped Connor on the chest and then went right to my side.

"Shhh Pen, one more hour to go." I tried calming her down.

"Don't you have a banana or anythi-" Emily suggested.

"I do!" Connor called out.

"Shut up Connor!" We both yelled at the same time, as Pen seemed to start crying even louder.

Connor scoffed quietly as I moved away from the car door so Emily could check for anything we could use as food.

Why didn't I think of Pen, I should have thought of her.

I'm such a bad parent, whatever.

"Guys what if we quickly head out and go to a gas station?" Connor suggested.

"But Teo." I reminded him.

"I haven't forgotten don't worry, we'll go and be back in like 20 minutes." He suggested.

"But, what if he gets here?" My head went crazy with possibilities.

"Ummmm." Connor said as he thought.

Emily stayed quiet as she simply started at Pen who was crying at full volume.

"Ill go, and I'll be back." Emily suggested.

I looked down at Pen then up at Emily.

"Is that okay?" She asked, as she looked straight at me with concerned eyes.

I looked over at Connor who smiled as if nothing was wrong and everything was normal.

"Okay, just be back soon, I want you here." I replied quietly as I put Pen into child seat and gave her a quick kiss on the forehead.

"Or we could drug her and make her go back to sleep." Connor said as he shrugged.

"What the hell?" I asked as I laughed at his stupid comment.

"Just an idea." He laughed as he kissed Emily on the forehead, "I love you, be careful."

"I will, I love you too." She got in the car and turned on the headlights, which illuminated the rocky dirt.