Chapter eighteen

I don't know what Sasha said but we're allowed in the club. I'm pulled out of my thoughts when her warm hand closes around my wrist and pulls me into the music and sound of life.
I look around and everything is so elegant, not even half as nice as everything is upstairs in the restaurant. There's a bar, dance floor, casino and private rooms. The whole thing is themed with black and purple, pecks of gold and silver to finish off the design. And I'm taken aback by how nice it is. Clubs don't usually look this fresh and clean. And the people here look like they all come from linages of money and riches. But why is Marshal here?

Sasha eventually let's go of my wrist and turns to look at me, her mouth pulled tight. "I'm gonna go get a drink, you want one?" She asks and I take note of the slight edge to her voice. I want to. But maybe staying drunk tonight isn't my best option.

"I'm good, thanks. Do you want me to come with you?" Her eyes flicker to the bar before going back to me and she shakes her head.

"No, I'll be fine." She looks like she wants to say something else but decides against it as she turns to leave. There are so many things I want to ask her. Like, how she knows that Iván guy. Or how she even knows about this place. But this isn't the time or the place. I glance up at the place where Marshal had just been but isn't anymore. It's not like I expected him to still be there but...why is he even here? Why did he look so different? And who were those men? Because they did not seem friendly. I shouldn't snoop. I should stay here and wait for my friend. But one quick glance in Sasha's direction tells me she's flirting with the bartender and I immediately take off to where I last saw my boss.
So what if I snoop a little?
I'm a lawyer, it's my job.

-

Damien Romano:

I resist the tempting urge to roll my eyes yet again as
Mr. Aleksei introduces the rest of the group to yet another one of his failed attempts in making a joke. I don't laugh, I never do. And I almost pity the rest of the men that are forced to let out a reaction of amusement for the fifth time this same hour. That includes my brother, sitting next to me while wishing he could be anywhere else right now. Never mind. I don't care enough to pity them. You'd need to have a heart for that.

Aleksei is a big deal for the men in here. And he's not known for being kind to those who humiliate him. Rumors say he killed his own son for ignoring him. That's a lie though. I'm the one who killed him. Incompetent fucker was a disgrace to the whole family name. I don't take things lightly, either. Anyone dumb enough to disrespect me knows their blood will be scattered across the sidewalk next. But at least I don't force my men to laugh at my jokes. That's would be even worse.

Aleksei's laugh brings me out from my thoughts and I glance up at him, watching as his beer belly bounces up and down with every movement. It's really a sight I wish to unsee now that I've seen it. But I don't let my emotions show on my face. I never do. Instead I lick my teeth and look up at him with stoic expression.

"As much as I enjoy your company, time is against all of us. So let's cut to the chase." I say, and I don't miss the flicker of relief in the other men's eyes when they're not forced to hear any other horrible jokes.

I turn away from Aleksei and instead to the man next to him who has been awfully quiet this whole meeting. Observing. Smart man. Dominico Hector Moretti. The current leader of the Italian Moretti mafia that's soon going to be taken over by his oldest nephew, because he happened to only be blessed with a daughter before his wife fell ill and became unable to provide a son to take over. But his daughter... his daughter is the key to a new alliance. An alliance that would be more beneficial to them rather than us. But I have my own reasons

"My brother has been ready for marriage for a while now. And it is time for him to fulfill his duty and earn his place our organization." I start and wait for Moretti to put the dots together. Takes only a second before his eyes light up. I feel my brother tense next to me, shifting in his seat. But I pay it no mind.

"My oldest daughter, Milena, just turned of age. I'll be more than happy to arrange a marriage with her and your brother. If you're not available, of course." He lightly teases and my eyes narrow. I know it's not a joke. Unfortunately for him, I'm only available to a certain brunette whose life I've been stalking like an obsessed creep.

"My brother will do." I say instead, dismissing whatever idea he has in his head. And I watch as the man nods, resisting the urge to protest and discuss it further. Smart man.

"Yes sir, I'll have my men schedule a meeting that will fit both our times." His accent breaks with Italian as he speaks and I open my mouth to agree but a knock on the door cuts me off and Iván appears behind it, peaking his head inside. I frown.

"May I have a word with you, boss? Alone." He asks and his tone suggests that it's urgent. But a look in his eyes tells me it's not exactly the kind of urgent I'm thinking about.

"I'll contact you later with the details." I tell Moretti and stand from my seat, offering a glance to the rest of the men in the room out of respect, even my brother's hard eyes, before leaving. Iván closes the door behind us leads me further away in the hallway. The sound of soft footsteps catches my attention and I frown, looking around us to make sure no one's there before turning back to my cousin. "Chto?" I ask in Russian and he only smirks.
{What?}

"I left you a little gift, boss. Your little obsession is here." My breathing pauses. And white clouds my vision by the edges. She's here? I told them specifically not to let them in- My eyes are deadly as I glare at Iván and he meets my stare with a smug smile. Fucker knows I care about him too much to kill him. Not too much to beat the living shit out of him though.

But something vibrates in my pocket, forcing me to stop thinking about ways to hurt him. I slip my hand into my pocket and receive my phone a second later, glancing at the new message.

Malyshka: *unread message*

My eyes flicker up when those same sounds of footsteps I heard just a minute ago are heard fleeing from where I'm standing and a wicked smile curves my lips. My little obsession is smart.

-

(A/N) Next chapter next Friday!!🤭🤭