Chapter two

"Trinity, time is up." Henry says from the other side of my office door and opens it. "Hope you're ready, sexy." I turn around just in time to see his little wink, that I am positive is the most unattractive thing I have ever witnessed a male do in my whole life. I'm seconds away from throwing up what I had for breakfast. I turn my head back to the papers on my desk and put them into a folder. I am going to win this damn case and Mrs. Mills will get justice for her son.

"All done here, sir." I say and turn around to face him with my folder in my arms. My eyes fall to the woman standing next to him and my heart drops. "Oh." I say in greeting because that is the only thing I can manage at the moment while confusion makes my brows furrowed ever so slightly.

"Trinity." She pitches in greeting, saying my name as though we are friends. Her face is smug when she looks at me and I immediately notice the few buttons of her hot-pink blouse being undone and the way her hair looks tousled. It's an effort to keep my face as neutral as possible when I realize what the two of them were doing before they got here. Disgusting.

"Trinity, Lauren and I had a conversation about this case you're working with and we just came up with a last minute decision." Conversation my ass. His face fills with fake empathy and even though I haven't heard what he's about to say I know it's bad. My blood chills and I press the folder in my arms tighter to my chest. Lauren is a snake and a backstabbing bitch, I can't imagine any conversation with her leading to anything but her advantage.

"Oh." I say again and my eyes go from Lauren's disgustingly smug face to Henry's fake-empathetic one. I hate both of the looks on their faces and I can't decide which one I dislike more.

"Yeah..we think Lauren should take the case." My heart stops beating for a second before realization comes crashing down and my cheeks heat. That explains her messy hair and Henry's undone pants and tie. Oh my god, she had sex with him so that he would give her the case. My case. Rage fills me up like oxygen and I can't think of any better place for my fists than in Lauren's face. That bitch.

"That's my case. I have been working on it for two hours straight, Lauren hasn't done anything-" I'm starting to get riled up, and it won't be a good look for me if I scream at my boss. I take a deep breath before continuing. "With all due respect, sir, I know this case better than anyone. Those files you made me go through all week, they were almost all about Mr Romano. If I could just-"

"I know hun, but I'm a real lawyer and I have a lot of experience. You have never even prosecuted anyone." Lauren cuts me off and my nostrils flare. She fucked her way into this case and I'm sure this isn't the first time either. To hell if that makes her a 'real lawyer'. I know- girls support girls, feminism and all. But the supporting part went straight out the window when she poured that hot cup of coffee all over my shirt on my first day here and later told me that I should back off.

"Girls, please, I have made my decision and unless there is anything you think you can do to prove yourself good enough to take this case.." Henry's eyes linger on my chest as he speaks and I have to suppress a gag. I'm not stooping down to Lauren's level just because I want a damn case. I'm not sleeping with the married piece of shit. "Then I am certain that Lauren is fit for this case. Trinity, please, give your folder to Lauren and go to Margret, she has another set of files for you to go through." Henry finishes and my hold around my folder turns lethal. If she wants this case she's going to have to make her own damn folder. Lauren smirks and takes a step towards me and I take one back. She stops, her eyes twinkling with raw humor.

"This is my research about my case. You want the case? Make your own damn research." Bitch. Her smile drops and she turns her head back to Henry, looking at him like a lost puppy. Probably fucking him with her eyes too- shut up Trinity.