Chapter three

That should have been you. The words replay in my head like a song being stuck in my brain, while Henry says his speech. The whole sob story about how Lauren was not only a great lawyer but an even better friend. Everyone is crying, well except for me. I can barely think about Lauren with that text I got yesterday. It should have been me. Lauren shouldn't be dead I should. But why? I haven't done anything illegal, I have never gotten into any fights- arguments yes. But never fights. I didn't get any sleep last night and I'm sure it won't be my last sleepless night. God- what if they come back? Not to take a picture of me this time but to actually kill me. It was okay though, I had called a guy in the morning to come and change the locks on my door. I was fine now.

"..anyone like to say something?" Henry's voice makes its way through my head and I look up to where he's standing. Our eyes lock and his lips curl up slightly. "Trinity, would you like to say a few words in memory of Lauren?" My mouth opens to protest but nothing comes out when everyone's heads turn to me.

"I bet she wanted her dead." I hear someone whisper next to me and my cheeks heat with frustration. Sure she wasn't my favorite but I didn't want her dead. Soon I'm going to be dead too anyway.

"I-" My phone vibrates in my pocket, I close my mouth. My heart rate picks up. I fist my trembling hands behind my back and take a deep breath. "I miss her already." I finally manage to lie but the words taste bitter on my mouth and sound more like a question.

"Yeah, right." Someone chokes out and heat stains my cheeks. My phone vibrates in my pocket again, feeling louder than ever. I look around me, watching as they all stare at me with disgust. Do they really believe I did it? I turn my head to Henry, searching for any kind of assurance because I'm starting to believe I killed her, too. Not on purpose but with my mind. Henry's face only makes me feel more creeped out so I look away.

"I need to go to the bathroom." I blurt out and turn to the girls bathroom, ignoring the murmurs behind my back. I lock myself inside and force a trembling hand to grab my phone. I pull it up and watch two new messages on my Lock Screen. My heart falls in my chest.

Unknown: Do you feel bad for her?
Unknown: Would you want to take her place instead?

Someone screams and it takes a few seconds for me to realize that it's me. I cover my mouth and feel my stomach turn. How did they know? Are they here? Inside this building- No. I can't be scared of them. This is probably some stupid prank someone here pulled as payback for whatever reason I don't know. I'll show that motherfucker that I'm not scared.

Me: Who the fuck are you?

I type a quick message and wait with my heart stuck in my throat. Three dots appear and then they are gone. I wait but nothing more happens. I frown.

Me: So now you're silent?

I wait again for his reply but I get nothing. Who cares? I scoff and block the number before putting my phone in my pocket. I'm not going to answer them anymore. If they want my attention then they're not going to get it. It's probably just someone from work messing with me anyway. I wash my face with cold water and walk out from the bathroom. I carry on with the rest of the day as usual and keep reading the files Henry wants me to read. I search through my emails and take a lunch break before getting back to work. Six hours later I'm done for the day.

I grab my stuff and make my way to the parking lot. Somehow I feel lighter..like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders. The person that texted me won't bother me anymore. Fuck that person. I get inside my car and make my way home white blasting Beyoncé on the radio, pretending that I'm not scared for my life that this person will come back.