33. Together Again

Josandra rushed out of the front doors with a plate of strawberries. Since moving here two months ago, her favorite past time was to sit out on the porch and enjoy the sun. Because Valerie and she lived a few miles away from the town, they were completely isolated. When she first came back here, the lack of noise bothered her. She was so used to the palace's chatter or even the men fighting back in Cedar, but now she liked how different this place was. It was easier for her to cope. Sitting down on the floor, she began to eat strawberry after strawberry, enjoying the green landscape.

"Josandra!" Valerie yelled.

"Yes?"

"You finished your chores?"

"Yes!"

"No, you didn't!"

"I'll finish it later," she said.

She couldn't hear Granny Valerie's response, but she knew it wasn't pleasant. She laughed to herself. They behaved just like a mother and child would. Josandra didn't have any familial relationships so she appreciated the role Valerie played in her life. When she was done with the strawberries, she went back inside. Valerie was sitting at the kitchen table with a newspaper out. Josandra went to wash her plate at the sink.

"The horoscopes are telling me you'll have a great day today," Valerie said.

"You've been saying that for the past month now," Josandra said without turning around.

"Well, this time I mean it. Look," Valerie said, but Josandra shook her head.

She hadn't read a newspaper in months and she wasn't planning on doing so anytime soon. It worked out since Valerie wasn't interested in the news either, only read the horoscopes section. And it was rare for either of them to go into town. Josandra just stayed cooped up on this farm, tending to the plums. It was easier for her to gradually feel better about the way things ended, but Granny thought if she refused to face reality, it might all come crashing down on her.

It wasn't that she wanted to act like Lue never happened. She just couldn't deal with the fact they weren't together anymore. So what was the point of reading her letters? She opened the gifts though, just never responded. Her hand smoothed out the dress Lue had sent her months ago. There were some days where she thought about putting it away, but it was hard to. She loved wearing the dress.

Her hands stilled.

"You hear that?" Valerie whispered.

Horses. Maybe just one. Occasionally, people came up to the farm for one reason or another. If they were friendly, Josandra didn't mind talking to them, but if they weren't...

She raced to her room and dropped down to her knees, grabbing her rifle underneath the bed. Since she came back to Winnie, one sheriff was now stationed in the town, but it'd take some time for them to reach him. It'd be easier to scare the stranger away now.

"Go to your room," Josandra said, passing the kitchen.

"You ain't the boss of me," Valerie said but started to leave.

Josandra smacked open the front door and stood there, one hand on her hip, the other holding her rifle. The person was coming down the dirt road, riding brusquely a black stallion. Their face was masked to protect them from the sand, but as they stopped in front of Granny Valerie's fence, Josandra's eyes widened as she recognized the horse and the person who slipped off their mask.

"L-Lue?" she whispered.

She didn't near her, just watched in amazement as Lue slid off Buffalo. She was wearing a trench coat and sunglasses, but she removed them to reveal that she was wearing a dress, her fabric. Josandra's eyebrows shot up to her hairline. Lue slowly grinned when she realized that Josandra was wearing her fabric too.

"What—what are you doing here?" Josandra asked.

Lue chuckled, "What do you mean? Aren't you happy to see me? I see you got my gifts okay."

Josandra didn't answer her, but tears formed in her eyes, which confused Lue.

"Haven't you read the newspaper...?" she asked.

Josandra shook her head as she covered her mouth. This wasn't happening. Lue was actually here with her in Winnie.

"I decided not to—" Lue started.

She knew what she was going to say and as though these last two months hadn't happened, she was overjoyed with LOVE. She dropped her rifle. It clattered onto the floor as ran towards Lue with her arms open. Lue widened her arms and caught her easily, picking her up. Josandra grabbed her face, kissing her cheeks and lips eagerly. She tasted Lue's tears as they ran down her cheeks.

When they realized they had an audience, they turned towards the house. Valerie was at the open window with her cane, beaming at them.

"See, Jo, what'd I tell ya?" she hollered.