8. Sensitive spot

Prince Bain entered his father's private hall and bowed before him. Peato lurked in the corner, eyes staring at nothing. Anxiously, his father rose and went to him, signaling that the guards should leave them alone.

"Where have you been?" the king asked.

Prince Bain paused, "At the summer house, reading. What did you call me for?"

"It's Rose."

Slowly, the prince blinked. He's been hearing her name a lot lately. Much more than he cared for. At first, he thought this thing would blow over, but now Queen Anders had gotten involved. His expression turned aloof.

"What about her?" he asked.

"You said she'd be in the forest. Everyone's been looking there for a month now. The Queen has been looking in other places. We have to find her. If the public finds out that you—"

"That I what? Defended the general's honor because she murdered him, what will happen to me?" the prince asked.

Tiredly, he rubbed his temple and sat down at his father's desk just as the doors opened and Queen Anders stepped in. She curtsied to the King and the Prince bowed to her.

"Oh, we were just speaking about you," King Bain said.

"About my daughter, no?" the queen asked and the King nodded.

She went to the prince and held his hand in hers, her expression filled with regret.

"Forgive my daughter. I know she's brought shame to the palace. I only want to resolve this matter. I understand you only did what you had to do that night," she said.

Prince Bain studied her from her crystal slippers to her heavy-coated mascara. Lately, her apologies brought little joy to him. He swiped his hand from under hers and leveled his eyes with hers.

"What interests me," he said, "Is what did the general discover about Rose that night to make him defend the palace's honor...what could she have possibly done?"

"Rose, she was always a troublemaker. She just never let her father's death rest."

"That's very loyal of her," the prince said flatly.

"Your highness," she looked to the king and prince, "I know for some time now she's been a headache here at the palace and I respect you for letting us stay here after the death of the former king but this incident is nothing, but treason. Should you see fit, you may do with her as you please once you find her...in return, please—"

"Momma!" Bella appeared.

She curtsied in front of the king and prince before going to the queen. The Prince sat back in his seat, trying to be patient with the two of them, but he felt his blood rising with pure disgust.

"You said we'd eat lunch together," Bella said.

"Not now, dear—" the Queen said.

"What are all of you talking about?"

"It's important and private, honey—"

"Is it about Lue?" Bella asked.

The Queen stared at her child as though she didn't recognize her for a second. Prince Bain raised his eyebrow.

"How many times have I told you not to call her that?" the Queen said.

Bella huffed, "Rose likes her middle name. It was the one our father choose. She just wants to honor him."

"Enough about honor and him—"

"Ever since he passed, you act like you were never married to him. Lue says all the time that it should've been you who took the throne, but you gave it—"