31. Settled dust

When Josandra left, Lue couldn't recall much of her days. It was like the activities that she had to do became a chore. Every day, she'd wake up and eat breakfast before attending various classes that prepared her to become queen: governing a nation in the current social climate, re-building the economy, appealing to the palace committee. She couldn't remember much of what she was supposed to be learning, but she can recall the little and major things about Josandra. How wide her eyes became when something fascinated her, or how loud her laughter was when something amused her, how fearful she was to encounter strangers when they first started traveling together, and later her determination when they broke into the palace.

She wrote letters to her almost every day. At first, trying to reassure Josandra that nothing would change between them. Josandra never responded and she wondered if everything was alright in Winnie, but deep down she knew she'd never get a response from Josandra. But it comforted her to write to her. It was the highlight of her day. In her letters, she didn't talk about the palace at all. Instead, she focused on Josandra and asked her questions about how her life at Winnie was now.

Occasionally, she wondered if Josandra had visited Morris Street and found someone else. She wouldn't blame her, but it left a bad taste in her mouth. She began to send her small pouches of tea, jewelry and even her fabric, hoping this would show Josandra her devotion to her, but still she didn't hear back from her. With her lessons and meetings, there was never any time to go and visit her either. It left her pining to be by her side.

"Rose?"

Lue turned her head, "Yes, mother?"

"Did you hear what I told you? It's important to not only know what to say tomorrow, but how to act around Zaria. People have to believe you all together. You're standing too far away from him, get closer," the Queen said.

Lue didn't move or glance at him.

"What is the matter with you? You've been spacing out too much lately. Now, the ceremony is tomorrow and we've got to get this down," the Queen said.

"Why can't we just be sworn in? Why the lying?" Lue asked.

"Because it's important."

"Why?"

The Queen huffed, "Why would anyone trust a single woman in office who doesn't know how to run a family rather much an entire country? Do you forget your father was in love with another woman, but he forced himself to marry me? Why? Because it was his duty to continue this lineage and know how to run a family. Everyone must believe that the two of you are together and—"

"We're not giving you grandkids," Lue said and Zaria looked the other way.

"We'll see," the Queen said.

"We won't," Lue said.

"Zaria," the Queen gestured, but Zaria didn't go near Lue.

So she rose and went over to them, pushing them closer together. She grabbed their arms and hooked them together.

"You walk in like this and don't part until you're sitting down. Then, Rose you give your speech and tell the nation how happy you are to be with Zaria and be the queen. Zaria, you will then give your speech and the two of you will be sworn in. Understand?" the Queen said.

Lue looked the other way, but Zaria nodded.

"Rose, let me hear a little bit of your speech," the Queen said.

"

She had over a week to memorize the words, but still didn't know them too well. She knew bits and pieces, but other thoughts occupied her mind. The Queen sighed.