12. Someday

They were able to put some miles behind them after a day and decided to set up camp in the woods. It was the middle of the afternoon and Lue could hear Josandra's stomach growling. Everyone could hear it, but she was trying to act tough and not say anything. After everyone dismounted their horse, Lue spoke.

"Are you hungry?" she asked.

"Yeah, I guess it's about time we have a quick snack," Josandra said.

"I still have—"

"Hey, why don't we share some of this bread? I made it myself at the restaurant," Clay butted in.

Lue clenched her teeth, slipping out her loaf of bread. She squeezed her way in between the two of them.

"No, I'll cut her bread for her. She likes this one cause it has raisins in it, so you don't need to worry about slicing bread for her. Ever," Lue said.

She slipped out her knife and began slicing away as Clay made a face. When she was done slicing, she pulled Josandra to sit down away from Clay and eat the bread she cut. She sat down next to her and began to cut a slice for herself. Clay watched them.

"We usually divide chores between ourselves," Lue said.

"Okay," Clay nodded.

"Go see if the river around here has good fish," Lue said.

Clay paused, "...okay."

She strolled off, her eyes on Josandra. When she was gone, Lue turned to Josandra, lifting up the bread.

"Want some more?" she asked.

"No," Josandra frowned.

"What is it?"

"Nothing," Josandra said.

"Okay, but...if it's something, let me know...if she's bothering you, tell me. We can get rid of her," Lue said.

Josandra gazed at her for a second before laughing out loud.

As the day progressed, Lue tried to ignore the two of them, but it was hard. Their laughter annoyed her, their chatting, their friendliness. And especially how helpful Clay was to Josandra. Lue hated to say it, but she understood why Josandra saw her as a friend. Clay was so damn caring.

When they were done fishing, instead of Josandra carrying the mackerel back like she normally did, because she never caught anything, Clay carried them for her. Instead of Josandra cooking the food, Clay did it for her.

As Josandra was trying to set up her tent around dusk, she was having problems with it and Clay wasn't around yet. Good. Josandra should figure this out on her own, because in a month Lue wouldn't be with her anymore...but, Clay will. Clay would help her with anything she needed. The thought ticked Lue off that she founded herself rising and going to Josandra.

"How come you still don't understand how to set this up?" Lue asked, taking the material from her.

"It's hard," Josandra said.

"Pay attention. You should learn how to do this yourself so you don't have to rely on anyone else," Lue said.

As Lue worked slowly, Josandra's hand went to her stomach and she winced.

"What's wrong?" Lue asked.

"Nothing," Josandra feigned a smile.

Lue hesitated to move on, but Clay joined them again with some wood. She rested them on the ground with a grunt.

"I think I'm going to go bathe," Josandra said.

"Me too," Clay said.

"No!" Lue said, rising.