9. Friends in Noma

The next town they drifted into was called Noma. Lue didn't think they'd be here for that long. It was one of those places where if you worked, they provided you with free housing. It was a rainy, sleepy town; one that had no security and could've possibly been raided any day now.

They were in a local shop, Josandra was purchasing some essential goods. Lue was watching the street scene as people walked by. It was the middle of the day.

The shop door opened and someone stepped in. They scurried through the aisles briefly before heading to the front.

"Josandra?"

Lue's head switched back at the unfamiliar voice. It was the woman—the—

"Emely?" Josandra said.

Yes, Emely. The one Lue saw at Josandra's shop from time to time.

"What are you doing here!" Emely grinned.

"I'm just stopping by. How are you?" Josandra said. The two women went to each other and hugged.

"I'm fine. I've been here for a month now," Emely said.

"Really? With your family?"

Emely's face dimmed, "No...they were murdered that day we tried to escape. All of them. We barely made it past the outskirts of Ingrich."

"What?" Josandra said, astonished.

"It's quite a common story actually. Dorian's family didn't make it out either. It was very rare that anyone really did unfortunately. Only a handful survived," Emely said.

"I—I can't believe it...I had no idea. I'm sorry..."

Emely nodded, the sadness never leaving her eyes. "So, are you here alone? Why don't I show you where I'm staying. I'm staying in women's housing, but Dorian's housing for men is not too far away. Let's go greet him!"

"I'm not alone actually—"

"Oh, and there's Walter. We ran into him a while back and he's here too—"

"Walter?"

"But c'mon, let's go! I'm so happy to see you're okay," Emely said, pulling her arm.

"Wait, wait, I—I'm not alone. I..." Josandra said, turning towards Lue.

Lue stiffened as Emely looked over her shoulder and met Lue's eyes. She could tell that Emely recognized her immediately which was weird since Lue wasn't in Ingrich for very long. Lue gripped the back of her neck.

"Isn't that...?" Emely started.

"Yes, that's her. I've been traveling with her since I left Ingrich. Her name is Lue—" Josandra stopped, realizing she didn't know her last name.

"Just Lue," Lue said. She didn't join them. She just stood where she was, feeling awkward.

She was wearing light blush, this Emely. Light blush and lipgloss and a sky-blue skirt. Where did she get these things from? Lue suddenly felt rough around the edges.

Josandra stepped up to Lue and the friend followed her move. Emely had to have been five feet exactly.

"Lue, Lue, Lue...you're name sounds kinda familiar," Emely said.

"You think so? I've never heard it before," Josandra said, wrinkling her nose.

"I think I read it somewhere..." Emely said.

Lue squeezed the end of her nose, trying to remain calm.

"Well anyway, why don't the two of you come over to my room and stay the night? I've made some friends here I want to introduce you to. And I'm sure Dorian will be excited to see you as well," Emely said.