•the shadow•

En başından başla

____________________________________

Will hadn't shown up for school that day. Joe had that horrible feeling again that something was wrong. She sat on the school stairs next to Max while Mike called the Byers' house, hoping to hear an update about Will.

"Anything?" Lucas called to Mike, causing Joe to look up and stop thinking about all the horrible thoughts surrounding what could be wrong with Will.

Mike jogged back over to the group.

"We need to talk. AV room. Right now," Mike stated.

Everyone stood up, ready to follow Mike to the AV room. Mike turned around, looking annoyed at Max. This could not be good.

"Party members only," he hissed.

"What the fuck, Mike?" Joe stopped on the stairs, putting her hands on her hips, "Seriously? Max is our friend."

Max tried not to let the word friend sting her, but she knew she wished her and Joe could be more than friends. Maybe in another life.

"This is non-negotiable," Mike matched Joe's energy, putting his hands on his hips as well.

Joe dropped her head, knowing there was no winning against a stubborn Michael Wheeler. She couldn't not be apart of the discussion either. This was about Will and his safety. She needed to know if the threat of The Upside Down was back. Max just had to sit this one out unfortunately, as much as it annoyed Joe.

"I'm really sorry, Max," Joe sighed sadly, slowly walking up the stairs, "I hope you understand... it's for Will."

A chorus of sorry's from the rest of the group filled the air, just making Joe feel ten times worse. The look on Max's face truly showed that the redhead was upset. That hard exterior that she put on definitely was a cover up for the emotions she actually felt.

___________________________________

"Will didn't want me to tell anyone, but on Halloween night, he saw some sort of shadow in the sky," Mike told the party.

"A shadow?" Lucas asked, "What kinda of shadow?"

Joe knew something was wrong that night, and honestly, she was pissed Mike had left them in the dark. This was Will's safety that they were talking about.

"I can't believe you didn't tell us this, Mike," Joe said, "The party's safety always comes first, before keeping secrets."

Joe glanced at Dustin when she said that last part, still suspecting he was aiding and abetting that disgusting little creature that was possibly from The Upside Down.

"I know, Joe, but he was really adamant about not telling anyone," Mike sighed, running his hands through his dark hair, "Anyways, to answer your question, Lucas, I really don't know. All I know is that it scared him, and if Will really has True Sight... I mean, if he can really see into The Upside Down, maybe he saw that shadow again yesterday."

"So that's why he was frozen like that?" Dustin chimed in.

"Maybe," Mike said.

"It can't... hurt him.. can it?" Joe asked nervously.

She wasn't quite sure she wanted to know the answer. She would hate to think that her best friend was still in pain because of The Upside Down. Lucas looked at her, looking nervous too.

"I mean... if this shadow thing isn't from our world..." Lucas began to speak, showing that he was worried about the same thing as Joe.

"I'm not sure," Mike said, not bringing any comfort to Joe and Lucas, "Dustin?"

Great, more Dungeons and Dragons logic that may or may not be helpful.

"Well, if you're in another plane, you can't interact with the material plane, so theoretically, no, the shadow can't hurt him," Dustin replied.

Weirdly enough, even though Dustin spouted a bunch of Dungeons and Dragons knowledge, it gave Joe the slightest bit of comfort. She sighed with slight relief.

"Yeah, if that's even what's happening," Mike stated, "This isn't D & D. This is real life."

"Mike's right. This whole situation is unpredictable," Joe agreed.

"So, what do we do?" Lucas asked.

"We acquire more knowledge," Mike stated, "I'll go to Will's after school. See what's going on. You guys stay here and find Dart."

Joe glanced at Dustin. She had a feeling he knew where Dart was already.

"Dart? What's he gotta do with this?" Dustin asked.

"Will heard him him in the Upside Down. I don't know how yet, but he's gotta be connected to all of this," Mike replied, "He's gotta be. If we find Dart, maybe we can solve this thing. Maybe we can help Will."

Joe gulped. Looks like they hadn't escaped The Upside Down like they had originally thought.

AUTHORS NOTE: Hi!! I am back in my Stranger Things phase and I'm feeling inspired to write again. I hope you guys enjoy. I already have great ideas for S4, so I'm excited to write for you guys again :) (PS: I am attaching photos of the outfit Joe is wearing, just so it feels more immersive!)