27 Austin

Austin opens the kitchen door and both women snap their heads to him with expectant faces. "The prodigal son has returned," Austin announces and loops his arm around his father's shoulders. Both his mother and Willow burst into tears. Oh, he wasn't expecting that so he lets go of his father and wraps his arms around Willow. "It's ok, baby, it's all good now. I still intend to show them I am a better man but they have welcomed me home," he whispers trying to soothe her. "I know. I am just so happy for all of you. This is wonderful," she sniffles. Fuck, he loves her. "You ready to meet my Dad?" he asks with a grin. Willow nods wipes her tears and then he stands to the side. "Willow this is my Dad," he says gesturing to his father.

Willow smiles at him and says a soft hi. Now Austin would be shocked as this is not her usual greeting but by the way she is clasping her hands behind her back and trying not to bounce, he knows she is trying to hold back - be normal, if you will. He has spoken so much about his father and how important he is to him that he has made him sound a bit like a god. Willow is nervous and wants to make a good impression. He watches her try her best but it doesn't last long, as he knew it wouldn't, and so after another two seconds she caves and rushes toward him. She loops her arms around his waist and gives him a tight squeeze.

"I am so happy to meet you. You are such a wonderful person from what Austin has told me. I love Austin very much and I am so happy you made him the man he is. He is my favorite person," Willow says all in one breath. Austin's dad looks shocked for a second and then like everyone else that encounters Willow he melts a little and hugs her back. "I have heard a lot about you too and look forward to getting to know you," he says. "You are?" Willow says stepping out of the hug and looking up at him. "I am," he confirms with a smile. "I got you flowers. They are in the sink. The purple ones because you are a watcher," Willow says letting Austin pull her back to him.

"A watcher?"

"Yes, a watcher. I am not a watcher. I talk too much, I want to be a watcher but a thought pops into my head and spills out of my mouth. Like, Mrs. Post offered for us to stay here while we visit instead of at Austin's apartment. It's a lovely apartment but it's right in the middle of the city. But, your home is lovely and you have real grass. Can we stay here?  Is that too forward?" she says and turns to look at Austin, "am I speaking too much? I am nervous so you know how I get. Why are you not stopping me? Stop me," she says. Austin chuckles and covers her mouth only because she asked him to but he could listen to her pointless blabbering for hours.

Austin watches a slow smile creep onto his face as his mother hides her giggle. He had been wrong about his father falling in love with Willow before he finished his dinner - he had already fallen in love with her. He likes her very much, Austin can see it on his face. "Thank you for my flowers. I have never received flowers before, and if you had not asked to stay here I would have insisted anyway. Our home is always open to our children...that includes you, Willow."

His father's words win him another hug from Willow and a bunch of tears from both women. "It's been an eventful day, let's have some dinner and then get your room ready," his mom says. Willow and his mom had made dinner while he had been speaking to his father in the shed so they sit down and dish up. It amazes Austin how quickly they fall back into easy conversation and he realizes now how much he had missed all of this. No matter what happens from now on he will never slip back into being that self-centered callous idiot from only six months ago. That man had been chasing a dream only to catch a nightmare because he had not trusted the people around him at the time.

He had not intended to go to Gordan's on Saturday but now he thinks he will. He wants to see his old friends, rekindle some of those friendships he had thrown away. He intends to follow Willow's advice - surrounding himself with good people will keep him humble and on the right path no matter what he accomplishes as life goes on. The conversation at the dinner table stretches on well past midnight, but eventually, he can see Willow is battling to keep her eyes open so he convinces her to say goodnight and takes her to the spare room that was once his as a kid.